• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 noises. Not good.

AnthonyZ28

NAXJA Forum User
So my rear axle, Dana 44 with Detroit locker, has started giving me some grief. Its been making some pretty sketchy noises. One of the noises that I've had for a while now is a good ole clunking noise. It only happens when im going a relatively slow speed (sub 10mph) and making a fairly sharp turn, but never going straight. When I hear it, I also feel it too.

The next is very comparable to squeaking brakes, but it comes from the rear. This one has a pattern which varies directly with my speed. The faster I go, the faster the noise. This sound happens when I'm driving straight and when i turn.

The last one is similar to the first one I listed. Its a clunking noise that occurs when I'm driving straight. But I don't feel this one, only hear it. I heard this sound once a couple weeks ago, but it went away that same day.

Tomorrow I'll pop the cover and visually inspect it. I'll update y'all tomorrow once i do so. So what are some possible culprits of this problem?

Back