• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 Lock Right Installed in 8.25 Tested

You know what else is great? A chrysler 8.25 pinion yoke will slide onto a stock 27 spline dana 30 axleshaft quite nicely. Found that out when I had more parts than hands one day at the junkyard, it sure made carrying everything easier.

Hell, wouldn't be surprised if the transfer case rear output is similar too, though that one is designed as a slip yoke spline so it may be different.

While it's kind of surprising that different manufacturers use spline patterns close enough that they are roughly compatible, I don't find it too surprising that a 27 spline Dana axle is the same dia. as a Chrysler 27 spline axle.
The biggest surprise here is that the Dana dif. carrier and the Chrysler dif. carrier have similar interior dimensions. I guess if it's close enough for the clutches to lock, it'll work.

I have a buddy that has a Dana 35 in his TJ with a Dana 35 locker and mine holds traction better than his. From what we can tell. Our Next ride I will pay more attention.

Update:

Locker lasted longer than engine. About 3k offroad miles and still working great. In process of engine swap to do further testing haha.

Cool! Glad it's holding up for you, though it's still a rather strange thing to do LOL. Make do with what you have I guess...

So new update to the worlds most universal locker lol. I decided to pull the locker from rear and weld it up. I knew it would work in the d30 so done it and it works great. There was no damage to the locker as it was in the C8.25 for almost a year.

So wait, you have a d35 lockrite that you modified to put in a 27 spline 8.25 and then swapped into a d30 and it still works great?

:wow:

I'm not sure what I think of this but that really appeals to my cheapass side.

A D-30 Lock Rite will fit into a D-35 and vise-verso. I have seen it done and I have witnessed it working in both axles. Now the whole D-35 LR into a 27 spline 8.25 was a shocker:wow:

to my knowledge you have to have a D35 lunchbox from a specific year period to drop it into a 30.. the size of the side journals changed at some point. i dont know specifically, ive never ownef a D35.

so just a note, not a 35 lunchboxes are created equal.

Back