• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 cad to Dana 44

Not sure why a JK axle is your choice. You would have to narrow it to the stock axle width. This would require taking the inner "C" off the long tube side and ten cut it down. Then weld the inner c back on. But the question has to be asked, WHY? Why use a weak tubed axle when you can find a 70's HP44 from a Ford and narrow it to Waggy width and it will work great.

if a JK 44 is the flavor you want... thats fine. i can see pros and cons with this axle, just like any other.

but unlike common practice on the traditional ford D44, i would not suggest narrowing a JK 44. a ford D44 can be narrowed to TJ rubicon 44 length, and use over the shelf chromoly shafts. the JK axle is a different animal. you will not find shorter aftermarket shafts readily available. you will be looking at a custom set of shafts. if you cant splurge for the best shafts available, from the start (a custom set of RCVs) i would not recommend narrowing the JK 44 because it will be impossible for you to find spares.

a better option would be to run a Jk or similar width rear and use wheel offset to get the track width you want. this would also help you match the bolt pattern front and rear.

ok thanks guys how do you feel about dana 30 high pinion from a xj with ox lockers and such i would be bulding ground up:variety: if i follow through with d44 i should get it from a ford?

lifting two more inches 35's and mainly trail wheeling and hills shes a street princess but a hunting rig also i just want to go high quality i want it to be 100% capable high quality. as far as im concerned anything is better than dana 30 cad only reason i wanted to go to d44 is cause bigger ring and pinion

I believe that TNT Customs makes an "adapter" truss setup to put JK axle in an XJ.
Otherwise, chopping off all the mounts and a custom truss and mounts will be required.

I think trading a D30 cad for a JK 44 other than ring & pinion size are about equal. Yes the tubes may be a bit stronger but not by much. For what you are wanting to do I think a HP30 would be fine. You can truss it if you want to make sure it doesn't bend. Or as you said you can get a Ford HP44. That is what I did for my TJ and it isn't as hard as you think it really is.

lifting two more inches 35's and mainly trail wheeling and hills shes a street princess but a hunting rig also i just want to go high quality i want it to be 100% capable high quality. as far as im concerned anything is better than dana 30 cad only reason i wanted to go to d44 is cause bigger ring and pinion

If you want to be 100% high quality with a D44 then a JK 44 will get you the furthest because it allows for the most potential, everything can be built to the same or better as any other D44, some of it much better. However D44 may not be 100% best option.

Well, unless you get a JKUR D44 for a REALLY good deal. Might as well spend some cash on a Dynatrac bolt in axle, or other. Not sure if they make a Bolt-in front D60 XJ. I know that they make a rear D60.

Back