• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dan Wheldon - RIP

I hope it was painless. Rest in peace Dan.

I was there at the speedway today, it really was bad. It took them almost an hour just to get the wrecked cars towed off the track, they were still cleaning up oil and debris two hours after it happened. I've just never seen any wrecks that even come close to what happened out there today, almost half the cars involved.

It came out that Dan Wheldon was in bad shape just a few minutes after the crash, and it was definitely a very long couple hours waiting for the announcement, but honestly nobody there was surprised when it finally came out.

Dan Wheldon was a husband and a father, my prayers go out to that family tonight.

Photo I took of the 5 lap tribute.
PA160466.jpg

Couple things did make me mad though.

A lot of spectators started leaving when they announced that the rest of the race was canceled except for the 5 lap tribute, a few even got pissed they didn't get refunds.

And the stupid announcers just wouldn't shut up during that five lap tribute, somehow they just felt they had to talk non-stop through the whole thing.

Last edited:
after hearing about this today, i started crying...driving is a true passion of mine, and to hear about someone that i had a shared passion with pass, that hit me very very hard. its made me realize that life is too short to not follow your dreams. i will be finishing my XJ and buying a new project. i will be building a race car in memory of not only Dan Wheldon, but Ayrton Senna as well. I will chase my dream and honor those who have lost there lives living it. Rest in Peace Dan Wheldon. To a great man and a great driver.

This is not a good day in motorsports history, as im sure y'all heard that we also lost the off road racing champion Rick Huseman in a plane crash while he was flying home from vegas today. Both were incredible racers and willl be missed.

That wreck may be up there with the F1 wreck back in '55 in the horror of it.
I think not. While the on-track mayhem was pretty bad, there wasn't a wrecked car pinwheeling through the stands.

Back