• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

***Dan Starc: Top Truck Challenge***

Re: Thanks All!

Dan Starc said:
Thanks for the support you guys (& gals).

Yes, I am a NAXJA member, yes I DO support our troops, yes I will paste lots of NAXJA stickers for Top Truck, and yes, I would like Army decals!

Thank you all again

Dan Starc
Member 676

:patriot: RIGHT ON ! You go Dan; soon as I get my issue: you got my vote.
Awesome pix; spectacular rig; mine wants to be like your's when it grows up.

Future FourWheeler headline: "NAXJA XJ sweeps TTC!" :party:

hards91xj said:
Yes, I saw your rig in the Magazine ,Looks GOOD , You got my Vote Some awesome pics on the links too..GO XJ

Thanks you guys, I am crossing my fingers...it would be great to get picked! :clap:

Thanks again!
Dan Starc
:NAXJA: 676

I put my ballot in the mail this morning Dan...

Good Luck!

BTW The ballots MUST ARRIVE at Four Wheeler's HQ in LA NLT 1 April!!!

Hey can someone send in a ballot for me? Even If i got it in the mail today (and we had the magazine) it wouldnt get there in time! Thanks guys!

Kristen

Dan,
Hey good news, I got one of my recruiter friends to send ya some free stuff, so you should be getting it within the next week or so! Just thought I'd drop everyone a note saying that I'm startin to get everything packed up to come home, so hopefully we'll be meetin up or wheeling soon!

Kristen

p.s. If ya get voted in and I get my stuff in time, will send you some iraqi money and some ranks and maybe a kewl tshirt to wear or somethin

Great to hear Kristen...BTW that ballot for TTC went in the mailbox this morning...guess I won't bother sending the copy of the magazine to the APO

Hey i still want the magazine! By the time my unit redeps back to germany the px wont be selling it anymore! 'sides, i'm a packrat when it comes to 4x4 mags....never know when your gonna need an article:D Thanks for everyone's support! Hope to meet and wheel with you guys soon!

Kristen

ladywolf said:
Hey i still want the magazine! By the time my unit redeps back to germany the px wont be selling it anymore! 'sides, i'm a packrat when it comes to 4x4 mags....never know when your gonna need an article:D Thanks for everyone's support! Hope to meet and wheel with you guys soon!

Kristen

Where do you want it sent to?
Just give me the info and you'll get it.
Dan Starc
NAXJA 676 :patriot:

The list of challengers for TTC'04 is out, and the Cherokee is not in it. :tears:

I understand there are several reasons for this, and listed in no particular order are the fact that XJs are not that popular or unique; mine is ugly and lacks a fancy color or paintjob; my tires look small compared to those 42"s and 44"s; I don't have 450 HP, the picture I was stuck with on the magazine was lame compared to other pics I have on file (it was the only pic I had that had enough resolution for printing, a "megapixel issue")...ah, excuses, excuses.

Still, in a strange way I breathe a sigh of relief. After spending over a week in Moab with 4 of the judges for TTC (Bacon, Hardy, Honegger, Nylund), I was convinced by them that entering may have been a bad idea.

One asked me: "why do you want to enter TTC?"
I replied: "why not, sounds like lots of fun".
He said: "i like your rig, I hope you don't get in".
"Huh?", I said.

As it turns out, once through TTC you might as well replace it or rebuild it. All the judges went on and on with stories of every rig having tons of problems after TTC, especially after the water/mud obstacles. Most rigs get winched up the trailers to head home after the Tank Trap. Trannies being rebuilt and lasting 3 miles, after the rebuild. Clay-like mud on everything, still coming off dashboards after years...electronics completely fried. They frowned upon auto trannies for the event, due to water ingestion; all judges said stick trannies did better on TTC due to this issue alone. Axles and trannies, t-cases have to be disassembled, tanked and rebuilt after TTC. Computers, modules and most looms will be submerged and more than likely ruined. So will the seats. Sounds silly, but I've worked too hard on this old rig to kill it in a week.

Don't get me wrong; I was ready to go to TTC'04, but had no knowledge of how bad it may ultimately be for the rig. I had no intentions of cutting up my current rig and building a new one after TTC'04 with parts from this one. Still, this gives me now another year to do three things before TTC'05:

1-Improve the rig;
2-Get a better picture;
3-Convince myself that I need to build a new XJ after the event;
and most importantly
4-Convince my wife that "it's okay".

Thanks to all who voted for the XJ this year, I really appreciate it.
Please be sure to vote for us again next year!
I WILL BE BACK!

Sounds like 4 of the judges got to see how capable it is anyway without the damage potential.

As they always say at the Oscars, it was nice just to be nominated. :)

Dan,
Sorry to hear you didnt make it to top truck, but maybe thats a good thing, yes? things here have gotten dumb, and I got extended (the joys the joys). So my trip home has been delayed for awhile. i Hope to see you guys out on the trails sometime this year. Be safe and have fun!

Kristen

Just in case it sounded like BS :bs: here's a picture of our Moab 'wheeling gang. I usually spend most of my Moab days 'wheeling with this group., made up of editors, photographers and TTC judges.
From left to right:
Fred Williams, writer for 4 Wheel & Off-Road (green and yellow cap), Jimmy Nylund from Four Wheeler in a red jacket holding a Corona (as always), the new 4 Wheel & Off-Road intern (forgot his name, but he helped Fred bring the red Avalanche pickup they built in the magazine last year), Greg Musseman who is sponsored by Bilstein has the black shirt with the flames on back, next is the back of Randy Ellis in the blue windbreaker (builder, owner of Randy Ellis Designs and RCAA competitor), Rick Péwé the editor of 4 Wheel & Off-Road is holding another Corona, TTC Judge Tim Hardy has the Warn hat and the big red moustache, then there's me in the tan vest, TTC Judge and builder of the Scorpion Soni Honegger wearing an OD Green shirt, and next to him Tim Hardy's wife. Missing from the picture are technical writer and drawing guru for Four Wheeler Ned Bacon and Chis Collard, photographer and writer for 4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility.
moabapril01.jpg

#36 1 Minute Ago
Dan Starc
NAXJA Member #676 Join Date: Jun 2003

Re: NAXJA Member entering Four Wheeler's TTC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just in case it sounded like BS here's a picture of our Moab 'wheeling gang. I usually spend most of my Moab days 'wheeling with this group., made up of editors, photographers and TTC judges.
From left to right:
Fred Williams, writer for 4 Wheel & Off-Road (green and yellow cap), Jimmy Nylund from Four Wheeler in a red jacket holding a Corona (as always), the new 4 Wheel & Off-Road intern (forgot his name, but he helped Fred bring the red Avalanche pickup they built in the magazine last year), Greg Musseman who is sponsored by Bilstein has the black shirt with the flames on back, next is the back of Randy Ellis in the blue windbreaker (builder, owner of Randy Ellis Designs and RCAA competitor), Rick Péwé the editor of 4 Wheel & Off-Road is holding another Corona, TTC Judge Tim Hardy has the Warn hat and the big red moustache, then there's me in the tan vest, TTC Judge and builder of the Scorpion Soni Honegger wearing an OD Green shirt, and next to him Tim Hardy's wife. Missing from the picture are technical writer and drawing guru for Four Wheeler Ned Bacon and Chis Collard, photographer and writer for 4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility.
moabapril01.jpg

Chris Collard took some great pictures of a trip we did this year up Killer Kane, a trail rarely known and used, for very good reasons...it is scary. Hopefully he'll get them on the mag sometime soon.

Later,

Back