• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Damage done when engin overheats?

ABN146

NAXJA Forum User
Last weekend I took my 97XJ up Hells backbone in southern UT with a military jeep trailer. Just before I reached the top I got this warning sound from the dash with the check gauges light on. I then notice my temp gauge is in the lower end of the red zone and so I pull over and with in a minute the temp drops down to 220. I drove on a few more miles to the camp site. Oil pressure was low when it was overheating, but it has returned to the normal 40 when under load and 20 when idling.

What damage could have resulted from hitting the red zone?

I now hear what sounds like knocking or dieseling. I had gotten rid of this same noise about a month ago after changing MAP sensor, spark plugs, wires, engine oil, transmission fluid and transmission filter. I don't know what change made the difference but it went away. Now this sound is back.:(

Since then I have changed the oil and I will be changing the thermostat this afternoon.

Impossible to be sure, but if you caught it in time you shouldn't have damaged anything. If it was running hot (near the red) for awhile before you stopped it, you could have damaged anything...impossible to say without going deeper into the engine.

I would change the oil and forget about it unless the sound is really bad. My 89 overheated many times before I figured out the problem and is still running fine. My little sister owns it now and abuses it. The 4.0s are pretty tough engines.

It lost a little water out of the overflow tank... It seems fine except for the low knocking noise that I have heard before. I guess I wont worry about it.

I just replaced the thermostat and cleaned out the overflow tank. The tank had several inches of crap at the bottom. This same crap was in the thermostat housing. Also I don't think the bottom radiator hose has the spring in it. Napa has a lower hose but no spring.

ABN146 said:
It lost a little water out of the overflow tank... It seems fine except for the low knocking noise that I have heard before. I guess I wont worry about it.

I just replaced the thermostat and cleaned out the overflow tank. The tank had several inches of crap at the bottom. This same crap was in the thermostat housing. Also I don't think the bottom radiator hose has the spring in it. Napa has a lower hose but no spring.

IF there is crud in the cooling system that can cause overheating.....
WHAT THAT ENGINE NEEDS IS A GOOD ENEMIA:laugh:
joker19891qy.jpg

Back