• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 or Ford Explorer 8.8

Spare shafts are really easy to find... just not at your local dealer or napa. parts stores rarly carry rear shafts. but if you plan ahead then you can purchase a set in the aftermarket world and keep a spare set available. and with 33's or smaller you shouldn't be breaking shafts. heck you should be safe with 35"s even.
4WDXPRT said:
Back in 2000 I drove my Red 89 back from Tellico, NC to Richmond, VA (500 miles) on a broken drivers side 1984 Dana 35 (twisted off right at the splines)...luckily that year was a non C-Clip version.

It was Sunday and I had just broken on Upper School Bus and there was no way in hell I could find a new shaft as everything was closed...

Needless to say I bought a Dana 44 housing on eBay for $130 that next week and had my friend Paul Cleary (Thanks Paul!) build me one great axle. The only thing I've done to it is replace a drivers side wheel bearing but I've towed some heavy trailors while moving in the past few years.

I've found that it's hard to find spare shafts for this axle but most people have custom shafts built and utilize the OEMs as spares. So if you break a D44 XJ axle don't expect to find one at Napa or CarQuest.

dirtbikestud66 said:
i dont feel like reading this hole thing, but what pinion do u run with an 8.8

Well, everybody else read the whole thing to get what they wanted out of it, so you might give it a try as well. Might learn more than just what you were looking for.

Back