• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 bearing replacement....any ideas?

wolfpacker

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 XJ with the factory D44 rear. I need to replace the wheel bearings on it, but the precedure is not in my hayes book (big suprise). I am asuming that i have to unbolt something in the differential housing and used a axle puller and what not....but i really dont know. HELP!

Erik Snyder
1987 XJ with a few goodies

you take off the four bolts on the axle flange (the ones that hold the backing plate on for the brakes) and then slide the shaft out.

the bearings need to be pressed on/off

I don't know abut xj dana 44's, but my scout 44 uses a press-on "doughnut" that retains the bearing.

to remove this thing, cut a notch in the outside of it with a thin kerf grinding wheel or dremel. Stroke with a cold chisel (wear eye protection) and the doughnut should break after a whack or two.

the bearing and seal can be replaced at this time.

Now, this is the hard part.....

the doughnut (if yours uses one) must be PRESSED on. A hammer cannot substitute. Try freezing the shaft and warming the doughnut to aid in its installation...

Ok, so i'm not as good at diagnosing problems as i thought i was. Turns out that my rear wheel lugs were a little loose and that's what was causing the noise that I thought was the wheel bearings. So yeah...at least that saves a whole lot of time and money!! I just wish all my jeep problems were this easy!

Beezil said:

the doughnut (if yours uses one) must be PRESSED on. A hammer cannot substitute. ...

Wanna bet ;) a 3lb mini sledge and a piece of 2" 3/16" wall square tubing and some time.....worked like a champ. just did it on sat. Sure takes a while and you might go deaf in the process but it works for those that don't have a press and no ride to a shop with one.

don't beat directly on the retainer ring though..that's a bad idea.

Back