• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 drivers side drop to passengers side drop

RavenMocker

NAXJA Forum User
I’ve an 1998 XJ D30 w/ ARB air locker and superior axles etc.
I’m looking at an 1998 ZJ D30 passengers side drop. They are both high pinions. I need to go to a passengers side drop. Will the ARB and axle shafts go into the ZJ D30? Are they the same inside just on different sides?

The Full Size GC from I think 78-83 has a Passenger Side drop. Then the fun begins with getting the bracket put on. I had a truss from Barnes for a DS drop adapted. I still haven't installed it yet. Also, it is a bit wider than a D30. Its a D44.

IIRC they are also LP D30's so your gears would not work.

The Full Size GC from I think 78-83 has a Passenger Side drop. Then the fun begins with getting the bracket put on. I had a truss from Barnes for a DS drop adapted. I still haven't installed it yet. Also, it is a bit wider than a D30. Its a D44.

There’s no such thing as a “full size gc from I think 78-83”
Stop! Just stop it!

I'll guess that he's referring to the very early Grand Wagoneers (pre 79?), which if my vague memory serves, had D44, D27, or D30 passenger side drops. Definitely not compatible or desirable.

OP - Why do you need passenger side drop? I can't think of a passenger side xfer case worth swapping in. If you're dropping in a stronger drivetrain that has a passenger side transfer case, you probably want a stronger axle than the D30 anyway.

The guy sold it. Ad is no longer there. Sorry for any confusion. I know jeeps in the 1990's used drivers side drop. But there are always weirds vehicles that have options that people rarely see. I thought maybe this was one and its why I was asking about it. Thanks everyone for responding.

I'll guess that he's referring to the very early Grand Wagoneers (pre 79?), which if my vague memory serves, had D44, D27, or D30 passenger side drops. Definitely not compatible or desirable.

OP - Why do you need passenger side drop? I can't think of a passenger side xfer case worth swapping in. If you're dropping in a stronger drivetrain that has a passenger side transfer case, you probably want a stronger axle than the D30 anyway.

Yes, the SJ series:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wagoneer_(SJ).

You have a RHD xj, go take a pic.

Frankly, I don’t believe it. I’ve seen pics of RHD xj’s, and the ones I’ve seen used an RHD steering box, and an idler arm arrangement.

After posting that… I did find a pic that appears to show a RHD xj with a passenger side drop… was that a mirrored picture?

You have a RHD xj, go take a pic.

Frankly, I don’t believe it. I’ve seen pics of RHD xj’s, and the ones I’ve seen used an RHD steering box, and an idler arm arrangement.

Yes, it's still the same axle and left-side drop transfer case. The accessories on the front of the engine are arranged differently as well so they don't interfere with the steering shaft and RHD steering box. The firewall is different, as is the dash and wiring. The xfer case shift lever is still on the left side of the shifter.

Back