• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting springs?

casm

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so... Long story short, I picked up an '88 today for $325. It's pretty clean, 72000 on the clock, NP231, D44, buncha power toys (seem to be working, pretty much), window tint, etc. etc. etc. Since I've already got the 2000 Limited, I'm going to do this one as a project/street car. I'll probably end up dropping it back to 2WD (to save weight) and lowering it. Hydraulics *might* be in its future, but I haven't got that far along yet; for now I just want to make it look sa-weet. Already ordered the stereo and wooferz.

Anyway, has anyone here ever cut the springs on their XJ before? I've never done this so need some help. Also, is it OK to let it just sit on the bump stops at the rear? I was thinking of taking out a couple of leaves to get it down on its belly (or as close to as possible). If I pull the skids, clearance should be OK - I think...

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I won't say I haven't ever cut springs before but it is definitely the WRONG way to go. Personally I think any SUV lowered looks like butt...but whatever.
Ride quality is going to suck big time. The ricers usually cut the springs and they're the cars bouncing all over the road. You are decreasing the height of the spring but you are not stiffening the spring. Lowering springs are actually stiffer...I'm sure you knew that. I used to be involved in SCCA and would occassionally cut a dead coil off a set of lowering springs if the vehicle was raked a bit after the install.

casm said:
OK, so... Long story short, I picked up an '88 today for $325. It's pretty clean, 72000 on the clock, NP231, D44, buncha power toys (seem to be working, pretty much), window tint, etc. etc. etc. Since I've already got the 2000 Limited, I'm going to do this one as a project/street car. I'll probably end up dropping it back to 2WD (to save weight) and lowering it. Hydraulics *might* be in its future, but I haven't got that far along yet; for now I just want to make it look sa-weet. Already ordered the stereo and wooferz.

Anyway, has anyone here ever cut the springs on their XJ before? I've never done this so need some help. Also, is it OK to let it just sit on the bump stops at the rear? I was thinking of taking out a couple of leaves to get it down on its belly (or as close to as possible). If I pull the skids, clearance should be OK - I think...

my xj rode on its bumpstops all the way to Nebraska with all my shit in it - on the way to college from CA... no problems with that department on my rig...

Let's not forget about increasing the likelihood of blown shocks. I say you you just let out 5 pounds of air from your tires. Hell...go 10 and slam that
sh!t.

um, I think meant to post in this forum: Street and Performance Forums probably more relavent info to be found there for what you're interested in. Also, there's a "speek freaks" forum over on JU that might also have some good info for more street-oriented mods.

riverfever said:
You are decreasing the height of the spring but you are not stiffening the spring.

What did you do for the SCCA, cook lunch?

CRASH

ok, I say cut em. dont go more than a full wrap at first though. A full wrap will probably give you a couple inch Drop. In the rear, get shorter bump stops, if you only have an inch of suspension travel, it will be alot better than none. I had an s-10 on the bumpstops, and it sucked. the shocks is going to be your limit thought, drop it and measure out your shocks. you can probably get it to ride decent, but stiff... I am dropping a 4WD S-10 blazer.. why? because IFS is a waste off road, but when converted to AWD can be fun....

Casm (and others)
I gotta apologize for my responses here. That is definitely not my style. One of the things that I really like about this place IS that everyone is always so supportive of others ideas. I'm entirely at fault of not making that happen.
At the end of a really long day of parent-teacher conferences I got some bad news about a friend. I guess coming on here and looking at Jeep stuff was a way for me to tune out. Apparently I did...and looked like a dope.
The fact that your 88 is a project and YOU want to do stuff to it makes it very cool. Air bags would be killer but I doubt I'd sink that coin into a currently low budget project unless I knew I was gonna go totally nuts. I'm sure we've all had a project and spent way more time in the garage playing with it. It makes life fun.
Do whatever makes life fun for you and your toy and others you share it with...cuz we only get one shot at it. Sorry.

-Chris

Back