• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting harness and adding wire length?

Being an electrical engineer and designing stuff for military, space, and medical, I use connectors that are heat shrink with a band of solder in the middle and a band of hot melt glue around each end. You take the wires and strip them back. You bend the wires and hook them together, then slide the splice over the wires. You heat the splice with a heat gun until the splice shrinks, the seal on each end melts, and the solder melts, fusing the wires together. You end up with a waterproof/bulletproof/strain relieved splice.

I am still using a ton I got 25 years ago.

http://www.digikey.com/product-deta...ense-and-marine/371176-000/A101221-ND/2046066

This is how I solder my connections. Strip back about 3/4", hook, turn, cover with heat shrink. I really like those connectors though.

How much heat do you have to put in them for that solder to melt?

This is how I solder my connections. Strip back about 3/4", hook, turn, cover with heat shrink. I really like those connectors though.

How much heat do you have to put in them for that solder to melt?

I use a small electronics heat gun with a hooked tip.

An alternative is just to do like you are doing but use the heat shrink with the glue inside.

**** soldering.

In our line of things, I've seen it cause more problems due to being brittle and not liking vibration. Many of the U4 guys got away from using it, as it just wasn't lasting.

If not using what Tom put up, I'd recomming butt connectors, followed with a heat shrink cover that has the glue material on the inside. Splices them, and makes it waterproof and it won't pull apart. That's what I did on my rig, while staggering connections to prevent bulk.

Worked fine for me, has held up well, and I'll keep doing it.

Believe it or not, the heat shrink (marine style) at Harbor Freight is pretty good stuff. That being said, I ordered a whole bunch in various sizes in the 4' lengths from DelCity. It's handy having it around.

Back