• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting and Grooving Tires

LilRedRover

NAXJA Forum User
Don't know if this is the right place for this, but it's pretty advanced I'd say. I have seen quite a few pictures recently of TSLs and LTBs cut and grooved in the inner lugs to provide better traction. Question is, has anyone had any experience doing this themselves? Obviously I have no idea how to do it, so I wouldn't do it myself, probably have a tire shop do it, but performance wise, is it all that worth it?

the majority of the tires ive seen grooved have been grooved by the owner of the tire, i actualy havnt even herd of a tire shop grooving tires, siping yes but no not grooving. i would just buy a grooving gun and a pack of blades figure out a pattern and go to town

88rockxj said:
the majority of the tires ive seen grooved have been grooved by the owner of the tire, i actualy havnt even herd of a tire shop grooving tires, siping yes but no not grooving. i would just buy a grooving gun and a pack of blades figure out a pattern and go to town

well that sounds like fun, but how do you know how deep to go? try to just keep it even with the bottom of the existing lugs or what?

I bought a grooving gun a little while ago and grooved my tires as a test to see how well it worked before I get my new TSL's that I wanted to groove.

My current tires are a Hi Tech Retread, just like a Dunlop Mud Rover pattern.

I have only used them in the snow, but I can not believe the difference!! It is amazing how well they performed. They have been siped forever, but the grooving made a HUGE difference. I definetly recommend it.

Took me about 30 minutes per tire, did both on and off the truck and I would take them off, I think it was easier and worth the little effort.

My brother has TSL's and he said it was taking much longer to do, not sure if that is part of the issue with the compound or the fact his are almost new and mine are very used?

Take about 1/2 the depth of the lug as a gauge for depth.

PM me if you have other questions, You might find my posts if you search with photos as well (probably on the tech forum).

Michael

LilRedRover said:
well that sounds like fun, but how do you know how deep to go? try to just keep it even with the bottom of the existing lugs or what?

i havnt personaly grooved any tires yet (have two sets awaiting a gun) but i plan to just go to the same depth as the other voids in the tires, and you can always go search/ask on pirate then report back here so in the future people can find it here instead of having to go to pirate.

4 Wheeler magazine just had an article on grooving tires in their latest magazine. Check it out, it will answer all of your questions about grooving tires.

88rockxj said:

my best friends brother works at les shwab in kirkland and hooks it up, they have a groover there, and about three of the guys have lifted cherokee's. some tire shops have them if you dont want to do it yourself.

WA-HCXJ said:
my best friends brother works at les shwab in kirkland and hooks it up, they have a groover there, and about three of the guys have lifted cherokee's. some tire shops have them if you dont want to do it yourself.

lol lucky you i walked into the local les shwab and the old guy working there first tried telling me i wanted baja claws not 39.5 irocs and that they dont mount anything over 38" for insurance reasons . and to top that off when i asked if they price match his exact words were "no and i never went out to eat at a restraunt that did either", its funny how that place stayed open for about 6 months before it was shut down.

88rockxj said:
lol lucky you i walked into the local les shwab and the old guy working there first tried telling me i wanted baja claws not 39.5 irocs and that they dont mount anything over 38" for insurance reasons . and to top that off when i asked if they price match his exact words were "no and i never went out to eat at a restraunt that did either", its funny how that place stayed open for about 6 months before it was shut down.

HAHA... I love old dudes

Here is what I am doing to my 36" TSL's, I also grooved my TrXus when I had them it seemed to make a world of a difference on the trail. Oh and it took about 45Min to do the section I have done. J
album_pic.php

STEELFISH said:
Here is what I am doing to my 36" TSL's, I also grooved my TrXus when I had them it seemed to make a world of a difference on the trail. Oh and it took about 45Min to do the section I have done. J
album_pic.php

do you have any more pictures of the procedure? Did you just shoot from the hip when making the grooves or did you have a pattern of sorts to go by?

STEELFISH said:
album_pic.php
One recommendation I have towards that design, do not cut all the way through the outside lug, but leave about an inch or two, it will prevent chunking in the outter lugs.

xjj33p3r said:
One recommendation I have towards that design, do not cut all the way through the outside lug, but leave about an inch or two, it will prevent chunking in the outter lugs.

Thanks. But I guess it would look silly if I did the other 3 different now...well I guess you live and learn right.:)

Besides I only have about $100.00 in the 4 tires.
J

bobnoxious said:
"Advanced Fab" is definately the wrong place for this topic, but here's a shot of my 34 LTB's

i131293896_79169.jpg

damn... those kinda look like krawlers now... how do they perform?

damn... those kinda look like krawlers now... how do they perform?

Extremely well. This was the second go-around with cutting them.

This is what they looked like when I first bought them/first cutting.
i9399564_63444.jpg

Back