• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Cowl Induction hood and Vents

rav

NAXJA Forum User
Since the Reflexion cowl hood is no longer available I have been trying different ways to get one fabricated. Since I could not weld I had a shop make this one but I ended up selling it.
photo1_zps2fe43224.jpg

Then found a hood of the same color as my jeep at a junkyard
photo1_zpse33e4e22.jpg

and found these Pontiac hood vents on Ebay:
photo2_zpsc8cc2121.jpg

Started the Install:
photo3_zps99ae1c4e.jpg

photo2_zps8e9d15e9.jpg

photo2_zpsc3a2246a.jpg

Hole cut:
photo3_zpsaafff793.jpg

photo4_zps2ae0bc11.jpg

Sanded the vents:

photo5_zpsa08a54ae.jpg

Then had a custom hood scoop fabricated by a guy who took over 3 months to make this but he did not do a good job as you will see later:

IMG_0172_zpsa2519e62.jpeg

Underside:
IMG_0171_zpsc210cf29.jpg

When I first placed it on the hood the lines were way off:

photo1_zps967e6b0f.jpg

photo1_zps9448cd3a.jpg

Cut the hood for the scoop:
photo2_zpsff64298c.jpg

After a lot of sanding and adding Duraglass filler on the front:
photo2_zpsf1374eb4.jpg

photo3_zps054a3bd1.jpg

Sits level now:
photo5_zps0a76b552.jpg

Now will start priming and painting it. There should be plenty of clearance for the M90 and cooling now.

I am too, saw them years ago and always wanted to do this. In two minds whether to used rustoleum hammered black for the scoop(just as the vents) or paint it the same color as the jeep chilli pepper read. Ideas?
The vents came out awesome.

I am too, saw them years ago and always wanted to do this. In two minds whether to used rustoleum hammered black for the scoop(just as the vents) or paint it the same color as the jeep chilli pepper read. Ideas?
The vents came out awesome.

Check my orvis thread to see what they look like body colored.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=952126
IMO, they stick out too much black.

Every time I look at your jeep I am impressed by how cleanly everything blends in and then when i look at your spoiler I spend the next few weeks searching for one. There was one that came up on ebay but the guy wanted $500 for them. I was willing to pay him about $275.

Yeah, but those pics are 6 years old, and Canadian winters are a b***h. I wish my paint still looked that good.

I think I told you that I got my spoiler for $125 from http://www.ebay.com/sch/merchant/directcartoys, but that was a VERY long time ago and it was their last one. There's a guy in Poland that sells new spoilers for a decent price, but they're for the pre-97s.

Last edited:
That is why this one (had to have it delivered here) never gets driven in the snow here in Albany. Most of the jeeps here are all rusted out, they salt the roads as if there is no tomorrow.
I saw the ones that the guy from Poland sells, he advertises them as 84-01 knowing for sure that they will not fit the 97 and up. I found a couple on eBay UK but the sellers couldn't be bothered to ship to the US.
I will paint the scoop in the jeep color. Bought the paint to match the factory code and it was $33 for a aerosol can... also bought a 2k primer.

finished it:
photo4_zps7ea8a99c.jpg

photo3_zpsbb39a7df.jpg

photo2_zps8f944129.jpg

photo1_zps40fa942b.jpg

Now you just need 42s and a 6.0L to make the Jeep match the hood.
I agree right now it is all show and no go. Hopefully with the plans I have for this (M90 and a stroked 4.6) it should have plenty of go. Not planning on lifting this one. When I was you and dumb I had a 88 with 6" lift and 35's.

The past couple of days were not very good. I went looking for a spare 4.0 for a stroker project. Saw it running in the jeep where it was being parted because of rot. I paid a guy to pick it up and find out today after he bought it that chunks of metal from the block are just flaking off. I guess I just flushed $250 down the drain...

6.0L would be really nice (especially with how Jeremy did his) but I associate a Cherokee with a 4.0 in it. I guess I am stupid...

The past couple of days were not very good. I went looking for a spare 4.0 for a stroker project. Saw it running in the jeep where it was being parted because of rot. I paid a guy to pick it up and find out today after he bought it that chunks of metal from the block are just flaking off. I guess I just flushed $250 down the drain...

whoa, not paint off the block but actual chunks? crazy

6.0L would be really nice (especially with how Jeremy did his) but I associate a Cherokee with a 4.0 in it. I guess I am stupid...

Cherokee owners fall into two groups on the 4.0 it seems like, those who cant imagine anything other than a 4.0 or stroked 4.0, and those who dont care how the power is made as long as it gets made. Same categories seem to apply to every platform so youre certainly not alone

I guess you summed it up well. About the rusted block, I have never seen one this bad, I am just kicking myself for not checking it out after it was taken out. The parting out for rot should have been a hint though...

I have to ask, how bad is bad? If it is surface rust, not that big a deal. Now, if there are holes in the block...

A photo would be nice as I am just having a hard time seeing a block so rusted as to be useless... It is cast iron after all.

And I have worked with blocks from the 1920s....

If this block is unusable, the photo can serve as a teaching aid.

It's too late for a pic as I had it dropped at a junkyard, but the lower bolt (that mounts to the tranny) was holding that block. Once we took that bolt off that part of the block (where the bolt) goes through just fell off. The rear of the block was so rusty chunks of metal fell from just scraping it.

Well, alrighty then.

Yes, I would have to agree that chunks falling out are an issue... One does have to wonder though, just what promoted that much rust? Did it take a long bath in the ocean? It's cast iron for crying out loud!

Sorry to hear your project has been sidelined... Maybe, another project can move forward.

Back