• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Bumper Project: Dos and Don'ts -- DO NOT HESITATE TO POST

I aaume he mounted the winch in the same place mine is going, under the radiator between the frame rails. Nice bumper basicly what I had done with mine.

yeah that's correct. The hard part (time consuming) was fabbing up the mounting brackets to the XJ "frame rails". I used 1/2" plate and then gusseted it where they met the front bumper. I used 8" channel and placed four cuts half way thru the steel about where the curves bend in the front of the XJ are and then flipped it over and used a BFH to bend it to the curves. That was easier to do than I thought. Then welded up the grooves. Then I sliced off some of the ends tapering down toward the bottom middle to give clearance. I then used 2" x 1/4" plate steel to put a botton lip where I had cut off for clearance. It was a perfect fit and really dressed it up. Also used the 2" on the ends to cap the opening. It was really cheap to build. I like it so well that I'm going to do something similar for the rear and incorporate a skid plate into the design so that when you go off the ledges in Moab I'll be dragging on something besides hitchs and brackets!

Back