• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Currently being made a fool of... Any help?

Those grommets are a bitch. The way I did my wife's 95 ZJ was to pry the donut shaped

piece with a flat blade driver to break it up all the way around the elbow.

Since your pulling the VC you can retrieve the pieces of hard rubber that might fall in.

That elbow has a metering orafice inside and it's most likely clogged up so cleaning it or

replacing it is needed.

I think Pep Boys or Oreillys had the grommet and elbow in the HELP section.

Yeah, welcome back Joe P!

I always disconnect the hoses to the elbows from the manifold and spin them inward towards each other. Then they are out of the way and won't get damaged. While the VC is out I blow compressed air through the rear elbow(where the orifice is located) to make sure its clear and unobstructed.

The wire harness to the rear of the OBD1/2 4.0's is a pain to deal with as well but it will come out just gotta wiggle it a little.

I would buy 2 grommets and 2 PCV elbows. Then just remove them both, if they break, you have the replacements on hand. If you reuse them, return the parts.

If you break the elbow I got a replacement from O'Rielly's when I busted mine. It was just a couple of bucks.

The front and rear elbows are not the same unfortunately - but they're cheap either way.

Grommets ARE the same.

All for a 00-01 but probably fit 95/96 and later, basically any stamped sheetmetal valvecover:
2x 2946 079 grommet
1x 5303 0495 rear elbow
1x 5303 0991 front elbow

Also the system is a CCV system not a PCV system.

The front and rear elbows are not the same unfortunately - but they're cheap either way.

Grommets ARE the same.

All for a 00-01 but probably fit 95/96 and later, basically any stamped sheetmetal valvecover:
2x 2946 079 grommet
1x 5303 0495 rear elbow
1x 5303 0991 front elbow

Also the system is a CCV system not a PCV system.

Do you know if the grommet hole in the newer covers is the same size as the grommet hole in the Renix covers (87-90).

And did the 84-87 2.5 L have the same style CCV on the valve cover?

I don't, I'll take a look.

EDIT: the grommets themselves are the same even on cast valve covers! 2946 079 apparently fits cast and stamped alike. So yes the grommet hole is the same. Glad I found this out.

I checked the 84-96 2.5 and the grommet is different across various year ranges:

it is part number J323 7765 in 84-86.

In 87-90 there are THREE grommets available, 3300 1237 on carbureted vehicles, lists 0.45" as a measurement but I have no idea what this measurement is for. J323 7765 (same as 84-86 2.5s all got) is listed as well with a measurement of 0.72" for carbed engines, again no idea. 5300 4721 is listed for fuel injected 2.5s these years. I have no idea why there is any difference, but I'm going to blame AMC for it.

In 91-93 there apparently is no grommet, at least I can't find one listed.

It is the same part number as the 6 cylinder CCV grommets in 94-96 so the hole is the same size as the 6cyl grommet hole on those valve covers.

Various years of 2.5s have different front grommet/air line setups, too. All the above 2.5 info is for the rear grommet.

Last edited:
I read that one of the valves has a tiny opening that gets clogged.
sled028.jpg

I was sent replacements that do not match, and an now waiting for the correct part.
1675l5s.jpg
1erltl.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Make sure you put them in right side up or they will leave a huge gap. I think they are to make sure you don't crush the gasket unevenly. They go on the outside of the valve cover,stem facing down.

Last edited:
By "stem facing down", you mean the 3 notches face down and are touching the valve cover itself?
These don't come OEM, but are ok to fit as a washer between the bolt and metal valve cover?

To the best of my recollection,When I changed my valve cover (replaced with Fel-Pro the same as one pictured).I decided to cleaned cover thoroughly. I just snatched grommets off cover not paying attention to orientation. When I put cover back together cover was leaking big time. Not really a leak more like a flow. Upon dis-assembly found that grommets were creating uniform gap between cover and engine. If I remember correctly grommet is installed to cover and had a small stem on one side of grommet that points down and fits into corresponding gap in gasket. Picture shows it slotted into gasket. It should be slotted into valve cover. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back