• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Current XJ Rear Tire Carrier Suggestions

If the cost of a production rear tire carrier makes you cringe why not find a fab shop to build you a simple rear tire carrier? I am a simple carolina guy :farmer: but I thought cali was chock full of fab shops? I built my tire carrier off of the trailer hitch and the largest expense was the swing out spindle kit from A to Z Fabrication.

Material costs were under $300 I don't have any special fab tools so fit up/fab takes me a while but I imagine a shop can finish a simple job like this in a weekend. You may get something custom you like for cheaper than production bumpers. Just bring a picture of bumpers you like with you to show to the fab guys and see what they think about building one :callme:

I've been happy with the Xrc bumper. It's all about proper adjustment of the cam and latch. Been running mine for 2 years and a 35" tire also pulled an off road trailer that weights in at about 2200 lbs. . Yes it's a bit heavy. The hitch is actually tow rated which was one of my requirements. I did install a zerk fitting into the swing for easier greasing, but my buddy installed one and it was already on his.

The side opposite of the gas can fits a 50 cal ammo can that I put my recovery junk in. On top there was room for a side projecting flood light.

I've been happy with the Xrc bumper. It's all about proper adjustment of the cam and latch. Been running mine for 2 years and a 35" tire also pulled an off road trailer that weights in at about 2200 lbs. . Yes it's a bit heavy. The hitch is actually tow rated which was one of my requirements. I did install a zerk fitting into the swing for easier greasing, but my buddy installed one and it was already on his.

The side opposite of the gas can fits a 50 cal ammo can that I put my recovery junk in. On top there was room for a side projecting flood light.

Agreed. I've had mine almost 3 years. No regrets.

Just something to consider, but at least here in co, concrete highways are NOT smooth. I had a carrier at one point, and the tire would start shaking so bad on the hwy that it would start shaking the seat back. It was like death wobble: you could feel it start at the more you drove the worse it shook. It was like a paint mixer in there. Long drives I would have to just throw it in the back. Loved the extra room, but on my newest bumper I did not put a tire carrier on.

I have no shaking from my factory tire carrier. Never had any with my Bronco either. I would assume (you know what you get when you assume but any way...) that the shaking was from it being loose at the latch. My carriers have always been tight to close and had no rattles.

I was talking to mark at detours before the holidays. He will make them, but if I recall he said 10-12 week lead time.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Don't base your time frame on that. I asked for one a year ago that keeps getting pushed back. I'm pretty sure he forgot about me and is playing catch up...

I bought a used Fabcore hitch mount tire carrier as a temporary measure, but I'm going to keep it. It is simple, durable, and light. I'd probably go with a Detours first, but if you are in a hurry:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FABCORE-TIRE-CARRIER-GRAND-CHEROKEE-1993-98-5x4-5-Lug-pattern-/142244311766

DON'T buy the one that says "Cherokee" and 5x5. They say to go by the pattern description, not the vehicle.

For folks who go this route: try to find a trailer hitch where the receiver is in the middle of the crossbar, not hung below it. It makes a pretty substantial difference in departure angle.

Paul

I have had the XRC for three years now, I like it. Got it from Quadratec for $680 (with a free high lift jack). I can fit my 5 gal jerry can, tow/recovery gear and my 2.5 gal air tank in it. I also tow a lot with it, pretty sturdy and has a decent finish. The tire sticks out a bit much for my liking but that's the payoff for all the extra room inside the swing-out. The hinge could be better but I plan on upgrading the hinge when it wears out to a bearing type hinge. The latch is the best latch out there as far of ease of use. Sure its heavy but I have 400hp so the weight doesn't concern me much. It also works great for climbing on the roof to secure loads etc.....

I have yet to hear of someone who actually has the XRC bumper and doesn't like it. Maybe there a few out there but the majority of us actually enjoy the bumper. Hope this helps.

I know it is a ton of money, but I love my JCR carrier. I chose it because I love the look, I love the "lock open" feature, and the quality. I can add 4 gallons worth of roto pax too. They let me order it with the jk tire mount as well, to fit my 5 on 5 bolt pattern.
It took almost 3 months to arrive though.

Xj by Sean Mitchell, on Flickr

Xj by Sean Mitchell, on Flickr

New Years Adventures by Sean Mitchell, on Flickr

More progress by Sean Mitchell, on Flickr

X2 what SRmitchell said about JCR's tire carrier!

@SRmitchell - how did you mount the license plate?

Also, does yours rattle at all?

I just installed this one last weekend from rockhard 4x4:

http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1013.htm

I love it. Easy install and you can find it at 4 wheel parts or quadratec, or order directly from them. I got mine from 4wheelparts with a 10% off code.

One thing I liked about it was that it matched up the lines of the xj very nicely. The integrated quarter panel armor was another selling point.

EDIT: Just noticed you are from LA, you can pick up the bumper locally in Compton at the 4wheelparts warehouse.

Oooooooh man. I want that bumper so bad! Just hesitating to pull the trigger because I can't figure out how the quarter panel armor is going to work with my cut rear fenders. They make a version specifically to work with Bushwacker flares, but mine aren't Bushwacker, soooooo . . .

IMHO: I installed the Detours off road Slimline bumper with optional tire carrier 7 years ago. Never regretted it and still like it. Not cheap but one of the better options for late model XJs.

http://detoursusa.com/xjbumper.php

Back