• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CTM's in a DD

Well, now we have a new sponsor, Nitro Gear and Axle, with a lifetime warranty on 27 spline CrMo shafts..

more to think about. :)

What company? And some say lifetime but thats like manufacturer defects, not snapping a shaft.. or so i would assume...

Nitro Gear and Axle.

Watch for the banner ad, and click it.

They say lifetime, i get the impression they mean it.

I was told that CTM's need to be greesed every 5 miles or they will wear out.

5 miles, thats gotta be a joke haha. screw CTMs. so just differentials is Nitro?

just looked and damn! $727 for shafts! they had better be lifetime warranted! damn, i cant justify spending that much, i mean for that price your getting close to just swapping in a dana 44

Nitro Gear and Axle is a company of Just Diffs, yeah. Sorta like Randy's and Yukon, or Precision Gear and Alloy USA.

-C

5 miles, thats gotta be a joke haha. screw CTMs. so just differentials is Nitro?

just looked and damn! $727 for shafts! they had better be lifetime warranted! damn, i cant justify spending that much, i mean for that price your getting close to just swapping in a dana 44

Um, yeah, you gotta pay to play. Thats inners and outers for both sides, including Super Joints (which is 40% of the price)

Last edited:
damn thats a lot, a lifetime warranty is pretty attractive though... makes me wonder if i will be still driving my XJ 10 years from now:confused:

swap in a d44... you still have to buy the shafts!

I've got at least $1000 in front axle shafts...
Superior stubs at $175 each
Warn inners at $225 each
CTM's at $200 each
Spare Yukons (full set, with 760's) $600

pay to play my friend...

swap in a d44... you still have to buy the shafts!

I've got at least $1000 in front axle shafts...
Superior stubs at $175 each
Warn inners at $225 each
CTM's at $200 each
Spare Yukons (full set, with 760's) $600

pay to play my friend...

Whatever, I do what I want. :rolleyes:

I can. A broken u-joint leads to a broken balljoint. When this is you stuck on the trail, the $400 for CTM's suddenly doesn't seen like much money. =) Particularly since you will only ever have to buy them once.

In all fairness, there were conditions that lead to that failure.

1) Those were small joints
2) Kevin was driving
3) well, #2 says it all. :)

I'd say 4 you were spotting him, but I wasn't there, just saw the aftermath.

Oh, I've still got a set of superior stub shafts for the ford D44 sitting on my shelf.

lancebroke.jpg

Looks like this CTM destroyed the ball joint anyway?

when the ear on the shaft went, the inner shaft keeps spinning if you're in the gas. the outer one is no longer fully connected to the inner shaft so it's not spinning. when the ears make contact, one pops up and hammers the ball joint.

lancebroke.jpg

Looks like this CTM destroyed the ball joint anyway?

As Dave said the CTM is fine, and it looks like the balljoint may be fine (or at least not the source of problem here). Thats a broken dana 44 knuckle ;)

Back