• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CTM Joints

I hope it's not too off topic but does anyone know if all the hype over Superior shafts on Pirate lately is justified? I get the impression that some of that hype is because of some back rubbing and bandwagoning. Do the superior shafts have any track record yet testing wise? I'm about to buy shafts for my F250 front and Warn doesn't make a set for that application. I would have to buy blanks from Warn and cut/spline them. Superior will make shafts any length with rolled splines but as far as I know noone has any real experience with them yet. Any input? Also, does anyone know if Warn cuts or rolls the splines in thier production shafts?

Beezil said:
you gotta be kidding!?

78-79?

Mine's a '79 F250. According to all the BOM charts I've found, like this one, the inners for the F250s are different than the inners for the F150s. I didn't know that until last week, spares might be hard to come by. I'm going to tear mine down and put a tape measure to the shafts to confirm it though.

Beezil said:
that would be cool.

I have the same axle, and would like to know what you come up with.

thanks....

I'm going to try and get it done tommorow, if not tommorow first of next week. I'll let you know what I find out.

REDXJ4FUN said:
I've only seen one ctm break (inperson that is) and that was at the VA state rock crawling comp thispast weekend. A pro class rig blew a ctm and a warn shaft on a 60. and considering i was under a TJ about a 100 yards away when it broke it was a hell of a bang. but it was a nice 401 that was powering the rig.

I've seen at least 3 break.......(well, one seemed to be the warn shaft first).........that's in competition, though. They are a great joint and everybody that I know that runs them runs Warn shafts.......Warn isn't tickled about replacing axles when run with a CTM......FYI.

{For what it's worth, I'm running snap ringed 760's on stock TJ shafts in my cute little axle, and my ears are pretty 'loose' now. Without the snap rings, I'm sure I would have lost a shaft by now. This set lasted a year, almost to the month with the 35's and how/what I wheel}

Matt, the ones I was thinking of were Bretts (mad max) first link. But it sounds like Sean might be coaxed into making the rings. 760s go for about what $16 so thats roughly $35 for 4 rings. Maybe he would sell the rings without the U-joint a little cheaper I don't know.

Crushed needle bearing do suck though, it seems like its a common effect before the joint fails. and probably a major contributor.

One thing about the CTMs (not sure what axles this counts towards)
My CTMs cant use regular zerk fittings. they wont clear the knuckles. CTM says they HAVE to be lubed each time before use.
I have those funky flat ones that require the special needle type greaser. I can tell its going to be a PITA to grease each corner.
have to rotate 4x for each wheel. I dont have my new Knuckles on yet, but my stock (78' Ford F-150) ones wont
Weird huh?

You have to remove the grease fittings on the caps to get the axles installed with CTM's, but that's no big deal, especially since you won't do it often. We all should have a needle grease fitting anyway for our drivelines if a CV shaft is used. It's pretty easy to spin the shaft with a pry bar or screw driver to shoot some grease into the joints.

BTW, I don't remember reading that they need to be greased each time they are used, but I guess the directions could say that. The folks at CTM won't tell you that in person, and I grease mine a couple of times a year. They hold the grease very well.

Beezil said:
come awn fullsize, get a package deal going!

warn or superior with ctms!

dig it.

I wish I could set up a package deal but I have to find a vender for axles and gears first, I hate that Buyin crap.

Back