• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruiser's RENIX diagnostics thread

Yeah on the fuel sending unit, inside the fuel tank, the small piece of rubber hose that connects the actual fuel pump to the hard metal line. The hard bump I hit must've shaken the jeep so hard that the hose came loose. Talk about troubleshooting.

Well after checking all the sensors and grounds, I was down to the ignition coil, or a fuel problem. So I started thinking about what could have been affected by the hard bump I hit, I replaced the fuel filter, it was super dirty but no change. Maybe some old dirt/grime that was settled at the bottom of the tank got shaken up by the hit and sucked into the pump, I thought. So I pulled the whole sending unit, and saw the the connection of the rubber hose/hard metal line had come loose. That and I just had a hunch that it was a fuel problem from past experiences, I really need to buy a fuel pressure testing gauge next paycheck.

Thank you haha, I kept beating myself up thinking I had maybe gotten the timing chain one tooth off. But there was just no way, the crankshaft or camshaft would have had to move considerably for that to happen. I'm still worried about the timing chain not being lubed properly. Do you have a Comanche?

Thank you haha, I kept beating myself up thinking I had maybe gotten the timing chain one tooth off. But there was just no way, the crankshaft or camshaft would have had to move considerably for that to happen. I'm still worried about the timing chain not being lubed properly. Do you have a Comanche?

Comanche and Cherokee. I'm on my 15th Comanche. Had 13 of them as demos at the dealership and owned 2 of them.

Dang, I thought I had a lot of jeeps haha I have two Comanche's myself a '92 with the 4.0/nv3550 and an '86 with a Mercedes OM617/AX-15. Awesome little trucks.

Yeah on the fuel sending unit, inside the fuel tank, the small piece of rubber hose that connects the actual fuel pump to the hard metal line. The hard bump I hit must've shaken the jeep so hard that the hose came loose. Talk about troubleshooting.

Same thing happened on my 89. I was trying to solve my stumbling when more than 1\4 throttle.

Hooked up a fuel pressure gauge that I could see when test driving. Gauge went down to 5 lbs under load.

So when I pulled the pump out I was surprised to see the rubber fuel line barely hanging on the outlet tube!

I'm the original owner so I knew no one had been "Uncle Bob'n" in the past.

Maybe at the factory the clamp wasn't quite tight and over time the pressure works it loose?

Anyway, that was 100,000mi. ago and it's still my original fuel pump.

Wow 425,00 miles. I hope my '92 Comanche with a '96 XJ motor makes it that long, it's at 95k right now. The '90 XJ will be lucky to make it to 200k, it's got 161k right now and by the looks of it, all on the factory motor oil. The sludge build-up is insane. That loose hose in the tank sure had me stumped. What type engine oil/filter do you use?

Same thing happened on my 89. I was trying to solve my stumbling when more than 1\4 throttle.

Hooked up a fuel pressure gauge that I could see when test driving. Gauge went down to 5 lbs under load.

So when I pulled the pump out I was surprised to see the rubber fuel line barely hanging on the outlet tube!

I'm the original owner so I knew no one had been "Uncle Bob'n" in the past.

Maybe at the factory the clamp wasn't quite tight and over time the pressure works it loose?

Anyway, that was 100,000mi. ago and it's still my original fuel pump.

I think it's the blended fuels raising cane with the original rubber used in the tanks. They harden, shrink, get mushy. All sorts of stuff.

:new: Cruiser, will your instrument panel ground help to perk up my interior? Everything in my '96 country is stock. I've got new battery cables that I'm waiting to install (all 2/0, it's over kill but it's what I had). Everything on the interior seems under powered. My dash reads just under 14 volts at start up but quickly plummets as I start turning anything on.

:new: Cruiser, will your instrument panel ground help to perk up my interior? Everything in my '96 country is stock. I've got new battery cables that I'm waiting to install (all 2/0, it's over kill but it's what I had). Everything on the interior seems under powered. My dash reads just under 14 volts at start up but quickly plummets as I start turning anything on.

My write-up is aimed at the earlier models, up til 1990, MAYBE til 96. Sorry.

Back