• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise Control not working

I am checking the resistant thur the switch. The switches are out of the Jeep on the workbench. The values listed are when the switch is made. I checked for continutity thur the CS itself, from where the wire plug into the CS at the colum to the other side of the CS at the connection before it splits to go to the two CC switches.

regist1 said:
I am checking the resistant thur the switch. The switches are out of the Jeep on the workbench. The values listed are when the switch is made. I checked for continutity thur the CS itself, from where the wire plug into the CS at the colum to the other side of the CS at the connection before it splits to go to the two CC switches.

There are two wires that work the switches, chances are that one of them only, is broken. Assuming that you are on the correct pins on both sides, open means get your credit card ready for a new CS.
Try "Jeepsareus.com" they carry CSs.
You must specify that your XJ has cruise, otherwise you will get a CS missing the green connector.

Checked all wire thur the CS. Horn = OK, Airbag, both wires = OK. CC Red/light green tracer = NO, Brown/yellow tracer = NO. Clock spring bad.

The switches are not the best design IMHO, they crack up at the base.
I wonder whether the previous owner might have replaced the switches with the wrong year, they look identical.
A long shot. Something to keep in the back of your mind if everything looks good but nothing works, been there.
Another way to check the switches is to take the covers on the steering column off and disconnect the connector there and read resistance through the clockspring. This will check the clockspring the harness and the switches and you don't have to mess with the airbag.

So are you saying the switches themselves determine the resistance and even though the switches look identical from 97-01 there are difference between 97-98 and 99-01?????
Please confirm this is probably my problem because I don't know exactly what year switches I purchased and they are the only variable that his changed since it stopped working!!
Also does anyone know where I can find the switch resistance values to test them??

Here are the details of my issue.
I have a 2000XJ and I am having cruise control problems. I swapped out my switches a while back because the retaining brackets broke and the switches were loose on the wheel. The cruise worked fine after the swap but the switch brackets broke again, I think because I hold the steering wheel at the switch a lot. I swapped the switches once again and never remove the wheel just unbolted the airbag and switches and now the cruise system won't turn on. At first I thought it was a bad switch because the on button wasn't giving a positive "click" detent and when I replaced the switches alone the first time I didn't have any problems but neither the switches work the one that seems broke, no audible click or the ones I just put in. The system still won't turn on. (i.e. I don't even get the dash light to come on.) I purchased all switches used.

I read up a bit and I checked for vacuum via the AC controls and check the vacuum line at the actuator in the engine bay and removed and the brake switch and checked continuity with a multi-meter and it seems the 3 circuits are functioning either on-off or off-on when the switch is activated and my brake lights work fine as well as my horn. I was baffled thinking all power to the steering wheel came via clockspring but then read the post above "the horn button contact is a slip ring and sliding spring contact" Does this mean my clockspring could be bad and the horn could still work and the airbag light might not come on either?

Are there any resistance checks I can do at the cruise switches or relays to try to isolate the problem? I would prefer to not spend hundreds on parts if I can isolate to the most likely cause and make that repair first.

I really appreciate any advice or thoughts.

Last edited:
So are you saying the switches themselves determine the resistance and even though the switches look identical from 97-01 there are difference between 97-98 and 99-01?????
Please confirm this is probably my problem because I don't know exactly what year switches I purchased and they are the only variable that his changed since it stopped working!!
Also does anyone know where I can find the switch resistance values to test them??

The switch modules should have small circuit boards on them. When you activate the switch, the resistance values change. Rock the switch to the other position, the value (on the same two wires) will change again. I have a '98 ZJ wheel in my '96 Country, and even with a different wiring scheme, the cruise buttons and horn work just fine. First, make sure the clockspring is good. Best thing to do would be to get a whole wheel wiring harness, 'ring' it out, and ring out yours, looking for any difference. This is, of course, assuming that the rest of the system in the car is OK. The cruise in my '92 works fine, until you turn on the headlights, then it immediately cuts out!. Just goes to show you that every car has its own annoying little traits.

The cruise in my '92 works fine, until you turn on the headlights, then it immediately cuts out!. Just goes to show you that every car has its own annoying little traits.
That's a safety feature :lecture: it's to keep you from using cruise control at night when you might fall asleep!

(the safety feature on my 91 is that going over a large bump on the highway disables cruise, also to keep me from falling asleep...)

:eyes: it's not a bug. it's a feature.

Anyone try to get any diagnostic codes?

my Woes...
I am suffering same CC not working.
Except i get power but, it wont set.

That's a safety feature :lecture: it's to keep you from using cruise control at night when you might fall asleep!

(the safety feature on my 91 is that going over a large bump on the highway disables cruise, also to keep me from falling asleep...)

:eyes: it's not a bug. it's a feature.

Funny thing is, it's always done it. I got the car when it was still rather young (hell, even the A/C worked). But, after I had to install new front sheet metal (after an unfortunate meeting with a Bronco II), when I installed the new wiring harness, I cut out the pesky multi-connector behind the left headlight, and the cruise worked great. I figured it was a ground? But, now it's up to its same old tricks. Some day, I may get motivated enough to fix it. Can't drive it much now, because it's got classic tags and insurance on it now, so I better have a good excuse to have it out. I went a little overboard fixing it after the little mis-hap.

I am sorry I was not able to answer that question when you asked. At the time I lost my password and had to change to xjman96.
The system works on what is called resistive multiplexing. Two wires only, do everything. When they connect through the switch, the computer reads the resistance value of the connection and decides what you are asking for. I don't know if the old thread is still there but sometime ago I was installing cruise in my 99. I did everything right but it didn't work. Somebody posted the resistance values for the two systems 87-89, 99-01. All the components look identical but the resistance values of the switches are not the same for the two groups. The junk yard had given me 87-88 switches and nothing worked. Once I checked the resistance and it turned out to be the wrong year, I got the correct switches and everything has been working perfectly ever since. One of the best and easiest mods for 87 and up XJ.

Back