• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cruise control measurements/info

kastein

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I was looking through my fsm just now and found some info I've seen multiple requests for... Decided to post it in case anyone needs it again, along with answers to some very common cruise control questions. This all pertains to 95 and later vehicles.

CLOCKSPRING STUFF, 95-96 -
* if you have cruise control, never rotate steering shaft with steering wheel or steering box disconnected, and if you do, you must recenter clockspring before reassembling vehicle.
* non-cruise clocksprings for these years do not need to be recentered. Spin em all you want.

CLOCKSPRING STUFF, 97-up -
* never rotate steering shaft with steering wheel or steering box disconnected, and if you do, you must recenter clockspring before reassembling vehicle.

The cruise switches in the steering wheel are "resistively multiplexed". Basically this means that all the buttons use the same two wires to the ECU, which pass through the clockspring. The ECU measures the resistance between the two wires and figures out which button is pressed. 95-96 is actually a 3 wire system, I am not sure why the third wire is used as it doesn't seem to add any info really. EDIT 2023: it is because the 806 ohm resistor is just in series with the LED on the panel. It has no switch connected to it.

95 uses a switch panel that works like 91-94 ones, but fits in the 95-96 steering wheel. No resistive multiplexing. 'nuff said here.

Resistances for each button, 96 (pin 1 is at left with connector latch at bottom looking at back of switch):
LED and series resistor: 806 ohms (tolerance 8 ohms) from pin 1 to pin 2
Cruise on switch depressed: 909 ohms (tolerance 9 ohms) from pin 2 to pin 3
Resume/accel switch depressed: 15400 ohms (tolerance 154 ohms) from pin 2 to pin 3
Set/coast switch depressed: 6650 ohms (tolerance 66 ohms) from pin 2 to pin 3

Resistances for each button, 97-98:
No switches depressed: open circuit
Cruise on switch depressed: 909 ohms (tolerance 9 ohms)
Resume/accel switch depressed: 15400 ohms (tolerance 154 ohms)
Set switch depressed:
6650 ohms (tolerance 66 ohms)
Coast switch depressed: 2940 ohms (tolerance 29 ohms)
Cancel switch depressed: 0 ohms (short circuit)

I do not have a 99 FSM. If someone with a 99 or later FSM has a minute, mind posting the same numbers from it? They are in section 8h, vehicle speed control system.

EDIT 2024 (how the hell have I been on this forum for 15 years now? Time flies)
Resistances for each button, 99-01:
20500 ohms (no buttons pressed)
8794 ohms (Resume/Accelerate pressed)
4330 ohms (Set pressed)
2571 ohms (Coast pressed)
1169 ohms (Cancel pressed)
454 ohms (On/Off pressed)
Tolerances are on the order of 1%, so for example up to 205 ohms off from 20500 with no buttons pressed. That was 20 years ago at manufacture time though so be a little more understanding, if it is 2 or 5 percent off it will probably still work just fine.

The 99-01 numbers presented above are guaranteed to be correct. I literally measured them myself, then opened the switch panels up, measured each individual resistor internally used in combination to create the resistances above, read the color codes, then did the math to determine what the theoretical combination resistance should be and compared it to my readings. I was less than 0.5% off in every case. The theoretical values are presented above, as that is what the factory service manual presented for the 96 and 97-98 values as well.

Notice that from 96 to 97-98, the only differences are that the redundant second circuit was eliminated, the cruise feature was split from the set feature and given its own resistance value, and the cancel switch was added as well. The other resistances are the same.

97-98 to 99-01, resistances changed. I'm not sure why chrysler did this, make your own conclusions. What I do know is that 97-98 cruise switch panels have an identical part number to 99-01 ones EXCEPT for the alphabetical revision code at the end. If your switches have a revision code of AA, AB, or AC they are 97-98 switches while 99-01 switches have revision codes of AD or later.

Last edited:
More Information!

According to the Colorado Springs Stealership, the CC controls for 97 tp 01 are the same part numbers. Also there are only 3 PCMs. California emissions, 49 state emissions and no emissions (export).

Well, they're wrong.

97-98 part numbers are 5600 7530AC and 5600 7531AC (right and left.)

99-01 part numbers are 5600 7530AD and 5600 7531AD.

The resistances changed, sadly it seems they are no longer in the FSM as I asked a friend to check his '01 FSM and he found no table in section 8H. I'll have to measure a set next time I run across them.

More info - some of the values above looked familiar so I checked my tables. They ended up being standard 1% tolerance resistor values - which also explains the tolerance values from the tables quite nicely.

Last edited:
Real men don't use cruise control.

I meant to measure a set I had hanging around, but forgot and gave them to a friend. I'll see if he could spend a minute and measure them.

I can not guarantee that these are GOOD measurements, but here is what the 99 swiches measured that I raided out of a donor vehicle:
Off/On = 500 Ohms
Set = 7K Ohms
Resume/Accel = 15K Ohms
Cancel = 1.2K Ohms
Coast = 2.9K Ohms
Also, there was a 20k resistance present with no swiches depressed.

Measurements taken with a Fluke 87 DVM at the green connector in the steering wheel.

Yes, resistance is measured in ohms.

My bet (not verified) is that the actual values for the 99-01 switches are:
no switches pressed: 20.0k ohms, tolerance 200 ohms
on/off switch: 499 ohms, tolerance 5 ohms
set switch: 6.98k ohms, tolerance 70 ohms
resume/accel switch: 15.0k ohms, tolerance 150 ohms
cancel switch: 1.21k ohms, tolerance 12 ohms
coast switch: 2.87k ohms, tolerance 29 ohms

I have not verified this, it's just the nearest 1% standard values to the ones o-gauge-steamer provided :thumbup:

I'll pull one apart next time I get a chance and read the actual resistor values off the parts on the board. Would have done that with the set I had on hand, but as usual the cases on the switch modules are held shut by melted-down plastic pegs and once they're pulled apart they just don't go back together very well.

I put a '98 ZJ wheel in my '98 XJ, spliced the wheel's two wires to two of the car's three, and it works fine. I 'rang out' the '96 board, pushing the function buttons, and they closely duplicated the readings from the '98 buttons. Unfortunately, I did not save the readings, if that's what you're looking for. The only glitch is that the 'cancel' button shuts the cruise off, rather than just disconnecting, like the brake pedal would.
The wheel also has radio controls, but the clockspring doesn't have enough wires to support the fuction. Would be nice, as a lot of later, higher end radios can be adapted to use a car's remote buttons.
I spent a minute thinking about it, and I think I remember the third wire having something to do with the 'on' indicator light. My '96 had the little green light next to the ON button, the '95 (same wheel) doesn't.
Then there's the airbag issue........

Last edited:
Thank you all very much. I put my switches and all works fine!
I have cherokee xj 2000 with diesel engine. I buy only switches with revision codes AC from donor 97-98 xj. I change resistors for each button:
no switches pressed: 20.0k ohms
on/off switch: 480 ohms
set switch: 6.65k ohms
resume/accel switch: 14.0k ohms
cancel switch: do nothing (not work)
coast switch: 2.6k ohms

it's the nearest values of resistors. Thanks!!!

Hello,
I am totally new to this thread. I have 1998 Cherokee SE and I just installed a cruise control into the Jeep from a 2000 XJ. However cruise control system does not engage due to the incompatibility of the cruise control switch (2000XJ switch in a 98 XJ ). I was just wondering how to change the resistor values of these switches with resistors. Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

You'd, BY FAR, be better off finding a set of buttons from a 98 XJ.

(I have 4 sets of buttons that would fix your issue. I'd be glad to sell you a set.)

I agree. As I recall the switch panels are not easily serviceable unless you have experience modifying small molded plastic parts (they are melted together during assembly) and also doing subminiature surface mount component soldering and desoldering. It's been a few years since I looked at the switch panels though.

Hello,
I am totally new to this thread. I have 1998 Cherokee SE and I just installed a cruise control into the Jeep from a 2000 XJ. However cruise control system does not engage due to the incompatibility of the cruise control switch (2000XJ switch in a 98 XJ ). I was just wondering how to change the resistor values of these switches with resistors. Any idea would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but worth a shot.. Did you ever find a way to modify the resistance values? I really would like to do this and if you got any relevant info during your search I'd be very happy to know.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5 years late, but you are way better off just buying the correct year switch panels - there are still a fair number of XJs in junkyards in New England and it shouldn't cost you over 10-20 bucks for the switch panels.

Also, I have learned more information about 95-96 switch panels design reasoning and updated the first post to reflect that. When (or if, the junkyards in the Northwest don't seem to get XJs as much anymore...) I get my hands on another set of 99-01 switch panels I will pop them open and check the actual resistor labels because there are no values listed in the 2000 FSM I have.

Alright, due to a project I am presently working on I had need of actual, 100% verified data on this. So I went and found a guy selling some and offered him less than they were worth simply to measure and inspect them. He thought that was pretty weird (I mean, I don't blame him) but was OK with the idea. So here are the measurements.

The actual resistor values inside the 99-01 56007530AD and 56007531AD cruise control panels:
15400 ohms (in series with Resume/Accelerate button)
5490 ohms (in series with Set button)
2940 ohms (in series with Coast button)
1240 ohms (in series with Cancel button)
464 ohms (in series with On/Off button)
All resistors are 1/10 or 1/8 watt, 1% tolerance.
(the above is provided solely for other nerds who are interested in the electrical internals of the switch modules. This information is of no practical use to anyone just bolting parts onto their jeep. The next list is for you.)

THE ACTUAL VALUES YOU WILL READ WITH AN OHM METER, WITH BOTH LEFT AND RIGHT BUTTON PANELS CONNECTED TO YOUR HARNESS CORRECTLY, ASSUMING YOUR SWITCHES ARE GOOD AND THE GREEN PLUG TO THE CLOCKSPRING IS UNPLUGGED TO KEEP THE ECU OUT OF YOUR MEASUREMENTS:
8794 ohms (Resume/Accelerate pressed)
4330 ohms (Set pressed)
2571 ohms (Coast pressed)
1169 ohms (Cancel pressed)
454 ohms (On/Off pressed)
Values may be off a bit depending on your meters accuracy but should be within about 1-5%. For example my meter read 20400, 8790, 2570, 4340, 453, and those values are well within range if you are sanity checking your hardware.

I'll update the first post now to avoid any confusion.

Interestingly, putting a 20.5k resistor across the connector seems like it would convert some of those 98 values to 99.
Example:
15400 || 20500 => 8794
2940 || 20500 => 2571

Back