• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise control failure

And just imagine butchering the wiring for the cruise control and the air bag!

Lets see, everything working on the test drive,...
Take it out on the highway, ramp it up to about 75,...
Cruise "on" - BANG!

My '92 XJ has the cruse control switches on a stem on the left side of the steering column. Someone at NAXJA suggested I look carefully at the little wire that comes from the base of the stem and disappears into the steering column. Sure enough mine was broken. Maybe you have the same problem?

Mike

2000's CC controls are steering wheel mounted. The clockspring makes sense, as I have had my steering box off to install JKS SBS plates......perhaps I turned the wheel too far one direction with the box disco'd........ :dunno: Both the CC issue and airbag light intermit showed up shortly after. My airbag light will come on and off while driving, but sometimes stays lit the entire trip.

Guessing I need to pull the steering wheel to check this out?

Pretty sure this the clock spring is the culprit. The horn no longer works, the intermittent cruise has stopped working and the airbag light remains on contantly. $143.00 is the best price I've seen online, after a few minutes of searching.
Pretty disappointed that Chrysler considers the clock spring a consumable.......prolly built in China, too.

I got mine at jeepsareus.com. I got their price on their site and decided to click the link to auctions. They had one on ebay. I bid on it and got it for much less than they wanted ont their web site. Good luck.

The 93 stick controled CC doesn't have a clock spring does it? Its just wired straight? My cruise doesn't work either! Is there a light on the dash that should light up when Cruise is turned on? My switch does nothing! Should i replace the stick controls first?

Alright! I got it fixed! One of the small wires exposed on the back of the column cruise stick was broke! For future reference where is the speed sensor and the cruise controly module at? Or does the ECU control the cruise funtions on the 93

Back