• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise, ABS, and brake light problem

kkerem

NAXJA Forum User
Hi

I have a problem with my cherokee brake lights, abs and cruise control. Im not sure if the problems are related.

First brakelights don't work and cruise don't work. The switch seems do be ok, as much as I tested it. But now I need to know wath wire is wath. There are theree wires going thru that switch. Does anybody have color codes and schema (91 xj)?

Other problem is, that ABS don't work. If I press the pedal, the pump makes some noises, but ABS doesn't work. I tried also hard braking on ice.. Whak could be the problem?

The Switch sounds like your problem, its the one thing all those systems have in common.

Did you check that the switch is adjusted properly?? i.e. it switches on when you press the pedal, and goes off when you let pressure off the pedal.

You could take a paper clip and remove the wires from the brake switch and connect them with a paper clip, if the brake lights come on, your switch is bad, if you brake lights stay out, its the wiring(unless all your brake light bulbs are burnt out). That would only work if there are only two wires from the switch, if there are more, then you have to figure them out, sorry, I'm not much help there.

ABS, not sure how the brake light works with it, but I'd check out the brake switch further, once you get the brake lights coming on in the rear, you most likely will solve your Cruise Problem and hopefully the ABS problem as well.

The switch is ok. I tested it with ohm meter. It has three pairs of connectors. I tested them all. Side ones are connected, when the pedal is up and middle one is disconnected until I press the pedal. So the middle one must be for braking lights (is it right). Middle one has also one incoming and two outgoing wires. I have no clue why there are two outgoing (grey) wires.
I also measured volts. The middle one didn't have any... One side had 12V on them... Other one again didn't have any... I think that wire which had electricity is for ABS. It is only thing that makes some noise but doesn’t work properly.

If someone has electric schema for cruise control, brake system and ABS then I’ll be very clad to have it. Also I maybe need a schema for vacuum. It is Cherokee Limited from 1991

What voltage the cruise control has 12 or 5? I have to check all the wires there

Another question is how to “shut down” ABS? When I plug out the fuse for ABS then the ABS is down, but the brake warning light comes up. So as I told the ABS doesn’t work anyway. Only the pump makes some noise when I brake. How can I switch it off so that it won’t harm any other systems?

Back