• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crazy gremlin sh!t

Patriot4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I've got some crazy sh!t going on with my xj.

I would search but Im not sure where to start.

When I hit a bump, I hear a slight grinding sound and my head unit restarts. Even worse, when I make a turn, the grinding sound is much worse/longer and the head unit cuts out, then restarts.

Im not sure if it is a mechanical grinding or electrical grinding.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Since everything related to your steering is mechanical........the only thing I could even guess would be that you have some wire going over the steering column and is getting sucked up when you turn. The bump? No idea, loose connections maybe, bad ground.............:dunno:

Do you have the wobbly column syndrome? I do, and if I move it a little with the key in the Acc. position the radio cuts out. It may be a compound problem and your symptoms may not be directly related, even if they are in the same system(steering).

Do you have the wobbly column syndrome? I do, and if I move it a little with the key in the Acc. position the radio cuts out. It may be a compound problem and your symptoms may not be directly related, even if they are in the same system(steering).

very wobbly, have a new shaft ready to install... why can sh!t just work?

cuz they're jeeps. thats why.

i think i may have figured it out... i noticed my driver's side motor mount is shot. I think the sound is coming from the starter... could it be the starter and the flywheel? That would explain the mechanical grinding sound coupled with the head unit cutting out.

A bad motor mount doesn't make noise over bumps. It will cause a thump and eventually bang noise under load in low gears, going forward or reverse depending on which mount it is.

The starter wouldn't do it either. It is possible there's a mechanical issue causing occasional drive gear- ring gear contact, I've had that before. But that's not going to cause the stereo to make noise.

hmmm, well the stereo is not making noise it just cuts out when I hear the grinding sound, then boots back up. The grinding sound only occurs when I turn sharp left or hit a bump. I was thinking the motor might be moving enough to piss of the starter.

Either way, i just ordered some new motor mounts from MORE.

The only other thing i can think of is an alternator issue.

new more mounts in and the sound is gone... hopefully for good. (and no further issues with my head unit)

the driver's side was pretty much gone:
oldandnew_motormountssm.jpg

Back