• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crashed XJ-Is it totalled/ (pic)

Its the only pic I have. My dad is in Minnesota and I am in Las Vegas. It buckled the inner fender, a pillar is tweaked, driver door wont open. Body shop quoted at least 5000 dollars. Looks like it will be totaled. Bummer. I wish I had a way to get it out here to Vegas......

The door not opening is a bad sign, I'd be very surprised if the insurance didn't total it. It is a good buggy candidate for sure...

it looks a lot like my 91 did when i crashed it in high school. then rebuilt it. it is totally possible to fix. i also could not open the door but i took the fender off until i got new parts. just dont get any plastic panels, particularly the header panel.

I think the "total percentage" can range from 51 to 80 percent of current market value, depending on the insurer and the policy.

If $5000 is the estimate, sounds like it is a total for sure.

I would at least ask what the buy back would be- often you can fix it for much less than a body shop would charge- it just depends on how "perfect" you want it to be.

part it out, its not worth your time
theres other fish in the sea, your gonna get emotional about an xj? its just a jeep, part it out.

insurance is def. going to say its totaled take the cash buy it back and then get qoutes on what needs to be fixxed. then ask your self is it worth the money? then part it out and get cash for most of it. then cash for clunkers time!

so, your gonna buy a brand new sub-compact, just to get 4k?

im SURE theres a stipulation to prevent just this situation anyways.

before you do anything, check your local state laws-- many states won't allow the transfer and re-title of a totaled vehicle. If it was titled in your dad's name, he may be the only one able to register it.

You guys don't seem to get it. It's not my jeep. It's my old mans. The jeep is 2000 miles away from me. I just wanted to be able to tell him to expect a total loss or not

I would like it back, but I have never messed with body repairs... It's sad because other than the front end, it is immaculate...

that sucks. That thing has amazing paint it seems on the parts that aren't touched. My last XJ was totaled at only 76K when some lady decided she was going to T-bone me in a snowstorm.

that sucks. That thing has amazing paint it seems on the parts that aren't touched. My last XJ was totaled at only 76K when some lady decided she was going to T-bone me in a snowstorm.

Exactly. I feel bad for my Dad cuz he loved that thing. It was always garaged, and he fixed every little thing that ever went wrong. It was like brand new! Oh well life's a bitch a guess!

LOL I just noticed this...He said the airbags deployed with such force, that it scattered a tupperware full of grapes that was on the passenger seat all over the car... There are 2 grapes by the RF tire in the pic LOLOL

I work for Progressive Insurance as a field rep - It's toast.
Looks like it was in nice shape though.
From the photo, I'd figure a 3/4 front with cooling. Looks like the lower rails have minimal damage if any (looks like it went over the front buymper). Left fender inner structure will need straightened. If the driver's door won't open, it could simply be the fender shoved under the door or as bad as the hinge pillar shoved backed. Airbox could be busted.
Salvage value would probably be about $500-1000.

I did something similar to my '92. Sheet metal damage, as the 'frame' rail slid under the target. Lucked out, and caught $22 fender day at Harry's. It took over two years or toying with it, but I've got less than $1k in it, including paint and a Country interior, and it's fully restored. I now have a PA Classic tag and insurance on it, so I have to watch how I modify it. But the upside of it is, my son and I took two semesters of collision repair at the local vo-tec, and we learned welding, smoke wrenches, etc., and from what was a bummer came something we can be proud of. It's too bad that it's so far away, because it looks like it could be a great start to a nice restoration or a good rock crawler.

Back