• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crappy hack n tap

If you busted the shaft, I have one you can have if you pay the shipping.

Ha! I actually forgot you had used JB weld.....I know it has nothing to do with the problem.

Truely I think it is a pretty freak occurance. I know for a fact you never really beat your cherokee, and with the auto that shaft doesn't get the violent shocks that a manual would see. Yeah, the hack and tap may be a weaker setup, but for the most part I don't believe it was the whole problem.

-Jordan

P.S. You know your just jealous of the wrangler....it with it's FRAME and all.

Based on this episode, you might want to start re-thinking the wisdom of running huge tires and 3.55 gears. With more gear in the axles, you can put the same torque to the tires with less load on the transfer case.

ok I tore apart the t-case and what happend was the shaft twisted off right and the spedo gear because the bolts on the seal for the hack and tap got lose and back out hitting the bots for the driveshaft causing the shaft to lock up with the transfercase still going. So now everything that was damaged would be fixed by a HD sye kit except the oil pump was damaged as well so where could I get a new one of those and why is the Jb conversions kit so much cheaper than the AA one. Also how could I adapt my DS to work for the differnet yoke since it was made for the hack and tap

So the thread should actually be re-tagged......"How using loc-tite can prevent you from fragging your tailshaft" ?????

TRNDRVR said:
You mean you can't run 3:55's and 35's with a hack & tap? Damn H&T. :mad:

Gears have nothing to do with what happend if you actually read instead of blabing your mouth why dont you come up with answers to my questions then flame me.

Is it possible that you still had some minor vibes after the install that may have "worked" on the adapter flange?How well does the "centering" flange fit,there shoulndnt be any "side to side" clearance?

RCP Phx said:
Is it possible that you still had some minor vibes after the install that may have "worked" on the adapter flange?How well does the "centering" flange fit,there shoulndnt be any "side to side" clearance?

Everything was very tight on install of course I dont know exactly what happend after driving it might be possible there were minor vibes but I didnt notice anything out of the ordinary until the breakage.

Or maybe if AZXJ wasn't running stock gears with 35's, less throttle would have sufficed

EXACTLY

This has nothing to do with hack and tap....

while I'm not a big fan of hack and taps, they are no weaker than the stock shaft, or any other SYE that uses the oem diameter shaft.

most mainshaft failures I've seen (only 3 of them) all occurred at the speedo gear or the rearward splines.....

a hack and tap doesn't compromise this....

I have two words for you......

TORQUE MULTIPLICATION

if you don't get it, here's another word:

GEARS!

Numerically higher gear ratios effectively lower the load on your drivetrain.....

Can't believe you are so damn stubborn to admit your mistake

Pictures!

I want to see a 5/16" / 3/8" bolt break a main shaft!

Pictures!

hinkley

Yes gears have everything to do with ALL breaks of anything, anyplace, anywhere!!!!! or lack of!!!! :D

Beezil said:
EXACTLY

This has nothing to do with hack and tap....

while I'm not a big fan of hack and taps, they are no weaker than the stock shaft, or any other SYE that uses the oem diameter shaft.

most mainshaft failures I've seen (only 3 of them) all occurred at the speedo gear or the rearward splines.....

a hack and tap doesn't compromise this....

I have two words for you......

TORQUE MULTIPLICATION]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

if you don't get it, here's another word:

GEARS!

Numerically higher gear ratios effectively lower the load on your drivetrain.....

Can't believe you are so damn stubborn to admit your mistake

What the hell dont you guys get all I want is answer to god damn question and you get so caught up in telling what you think I should here telling me I need lower gears does not answer my fawking questions do you actaully read my questions or do you just have to big of an ego so all you can come up with is why you think it happend without looking at it I know exactly what happend so if you dont want to answer my question along with a flame DONT RESPOND!!!

Take it to the den.

:rattle:
Any post from AZXJ should go straight to the den.
He just can't handle himself in the public rooms.
baby.gif

OK, I got a little lost here... Which question are we on?

Questions you've posted:

12/14
So my question is when this happed is it more likey that is my t-case is going to need another rebuild or can I just replace the good old hack and tap with a real sye that replaces the output shaft?

12/22
So now everything that was damaged would be fixed by a HD sye kit except the oil pump was damaged as well so where could I get a new one of those and why is the Jb conversions kit so much cheaper than the AA one. Also how could I adapt my DS to work for the differnet yoke since it was made for the hack and tap

Technically, the last one is three questions, but may have been overlooked because there wasn't a question mark on any of them?

The first one (12/14) probably only you or someone else who can stick their fingers in it and poke around with a flashlight can answer that one.

As for where to buy a new oil pump? Start with NAPA, end up at the dealer (probably). Why is the JB so much cheaper than the AA kit? Probably 'cause AA likes their stuff better, but I'd like to hear anyone else's opinion on this one. What do with your DS? Take it to a driveline shop with the extra bits and pictures of the new yoke, maybe a few measurements or estimates of difference in the lengths and see what they say. May end up being cheaper to have them build a new shaft, but alteast they will know that YOU know what you're talking about.

Now that's we've gotten that out of the way... When ya gonna get those new gears? :fuse:

bburge
'93 XJ, 5 spd, 31's 4.10's, hack and tap

azxjman said:
So my question is when this happed is it more likey that is my t-case is going to need another rebuild or can I just replace the good old hack and tap with a real sye that replaces the output shaft?

I did sorta answer the question....your t-case is more than likely going to be happier and give you a better service life if you took the torque load off of it by doing a gear job.

Back