• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crap. What's the easiest way to open an XJ without the key?

Yep! I locked my keys in mine by accident on a trail ride,:gonnablow while the Jeep was running,:confused1 20 miles from no where!:explosion

I busted out the vent glass with a hammer.

I picked another vent glass/frame up at the JY for $20 and it only took about 30 min to put the whole window frame and all in. It took longer to vacuum all of the glass out than it did to fix it!

If you use duct tape around the edges and then in an X shape from corner to corner, then break it, you won't have to vacuum up a bunch of glass, and no I am not a thief.

I'll second the rear 1/4 window. Thats how somebody broke into my XJ to steal my radio, tools etc. Very clean and easy I guess.
Also those windows bend an insane amount. I just hit a concrete trash can a few weeks ago with my rear 1/4 and now it is bent in at least an inch.I got pictures to prove it for the skeptics.
You're not in MN are ya?

Do you have a 2 dr or a 4 dr? Not that it should make a difference as to how dificult it is to tear out a window... I just may have a spare rear 1/4 in MA if its a 2 dr.. I'm pretty sure the windows were the same between 93 and 96 at least. Then again that also depends on where you are.

But overall, look up threads on tearing out the rear 1/4. Its not a hard process, and reinstalling just takes some twine, soap, water, and a friend always helps.

I called a locksmith one time to break into my new Mustang. He came out with an aluminum key, put it in the lock and wiggled it back and forth a few times. He took it out and looked at it and started filing notches into the key. Put it back in and wiggled it, filed it, etc., 4 or 5 times. Lock popped open, he gave me the key. $30. Often wanted to see if I could do that myself, but never have.

Call around to your buddies that own mopar vehicles. They didn't do a very good job on what key opens what lock. I have a '91 XJ and my mother's key to her '96 will open all the doors and turn the ignition. My sister-in-law's '98 stratus will open the doors, but no ignition. You can't tell just by looking at the key, you gotta yet it. If you'd of asked me by looking at said keys, I'd of called BS; but they do work!

On a side note, invest $5 in a hide-a-key, never have a problem again!

As if they don't already know. :rolleyes: The whole point of this thread is getting in with the least amount of damage....I could probably steal 5 XJs tonight with a screwdriver and a hammer...

To everyone else, thanks for the help....I'll try 'em out tomarrow. Unforunately I do not have glass coverage. I'm hoping a cop might notice me "breaking in" and offer to help, they will not slim jim for free around here.

I'm going to call the junk yard in the morning and ask how much they want for windows...which one is the EASIEST one to replace?:laugh:
Nominated

Reminds me of another time I licked myself out of my Mustang. I went around the shop I worked at and borrowed everyones Ford keys. One of them, out of 10 or so opened my hatch and I could crawl through. And I turned off the lights on a friends Mark VI because my key happened to fit his door??????????? Seems like they only have a few different cuts of keys.

i wired a key in a secret location on my jeep...hafta be looking for it to notice it

As if they don't already know. :rolleyes: The whole point of this thread is getting in with the least amount of damage....I could probably steal 5 XJs tonight with a screwdriver and a hammer...

To everyone else, thanks for the help....I'll try 'em out tomarrow. Unforunately I do not have glass coverage. I'm hoping a cop might notice me "breaking in" and offer to help, they will not slim jim for free around here.

I'm going to call the junk yard in the morning and ask how much they want for windows...which one is the EASIEST one to replace?:laugh:

Nominated

A closed window or a locked door is only going to stop an honest man. If they really want something that they see, or think might be in there, they're gonna pop a window out via elbow/hammer. The guy asked a legit question; if someone really wanted in an XJ to steal stuff they wouldnt be looking on the internet to find out the way to break the least amount of shit on your car.

Don't nominate the guy that tells you the truth. XJ's have been around for, what, 25 years or close to it. I think thieves have had time to figure out any tricks to getting into one quietly, and have told all their thief buddies.

Counter nomination.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=979146

It seems like this guys wants to teach the world how to break into XJ's, then says "its not like they already knew" when I say something.:looser:
Can we get this thread closed? I don't want to wake up one morning and find the radio ripped out of my dash and all my shit gone.
:bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl:

This thread isnt gonna make someone go out and steal your precious little radio. If they're going to do it, a window wont stop them. Thats why you have insurance and if you dont think thats enough then go get an alarm with a broken glass detector. Quit your crying.

If you're going to nominate someone, tell them to their FACE. Like I just told you.

Thanks a TON for all the help everyone!! I didn't get a chance to work on it today but it's gotta be moved tomarrow morning or it's getting towed. I think I'll try unbolting the hatch first, if that doesn't work I'll try to get a dealer key. If those two don't work I'm sure I'll be pissed enough to break a window by then. ;)

Now...can someone lower my stress level a little bit and tell me the dealer CAN cut a key with the VIN for something as old as 1996? Apparently I need another one anyway...:confused1

Now...can someone lower my stress level a little bit and tell me the dealer CAN cut a key with the VIN for something as old as 1996? Apparently I need another one anyway...:confused1

Have you called the local dealer? Any answer we give you about cutting new keys is pointless.

A closed window or a locked door is only going to stop an honest man. If they really want something that they see, or think might be in there, they're gonna pop a window out via elbow/hammer. The guy asked a legit question; if someone really wanted in an XJ to steal stuff they wouldnt be looking on the internet to find out the way to break the least amount of shit on your car.

Don't nominate the guy that tells you the truth. XJ's have been around for, what, 25 years or close to it. I think thieves have had time to figure out any tricks to getting into one quietly, and have told all their thief buddies.

Counter nomination.

:bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl:

This thread isnt gonna make someone go out and steal your precious little radio. If they're going to do it, a window wont stop them. Thats why you have insurance and if you dont think thats enough then go get an alarm with a broken glass detector. Quit your crying.

If you're going to nominate someone, tell them to their FACE. Like I just told you.
ACTUALLY, you typed it on the internet while hiding behind your keyboard... but whatever floats your boat buddy. And I did tell him I nominated him. :rolleyes:

Listen, if you think all people who break into cars smash windows, then you've got something coming to you. I've had my truck broken into 3 times. Most of the people who break into cars are punk kids trying to impress their friends, and if they can do it without the LOUD noise of smashing a window which draws attention to them, then they will. People don't read on the internet how to break into cars? Right. Just like people don't read on the internet how to make bombs, or steal identities. People post on youtube how to easily break into X cars. Like anything else that can be found on the internet, so can how to easily break into cars. So with WOW posting a question such as, "how do i get into my car without keys?" and then people responding, it can all be found by a simple google search which will lead them right to the answer here on NAXJA. A site that supports XJs giving advice on how to easily break into an XJ doesn't quite make sense to me. Anybody could come here to find out how to easily break into an XJ whether their a pro car theif or your punk neighbor who wants your ipod. And they'll get it.
It's a legitimate question, albeit it's one thats not the smartest idea to advertise the answer. I'm sure pro car theifs know more than how to break into a Jeep, but WHY advertise it on the internet to anyone who wants to know? Any dimwhit in the world with a computer and internet connection can read this page.

Have you called the local dealer? Any answer we give you about cutting new keys is pointless.

They are not open at 11:48PM. I did not have a chance to call them during business hours today. It should be a relatively standard thing, does whatever Chrysler network the dealers are looking at to make your key go back to 1996?

i wired a key in a secret location on my jeep...hafta be looking for it to notice it

LOL, normally I keep the key under the license plate screw. We got nearly two feet of snow, so I used the extra key to idle the engine with the doors locked for a while. I just forgot to put they key back!:firedevil

As a side note, XJ 4WD = the best ever. I passed at least 50 trucks/suvs stuck in the snow with no problem. I even helped pull a Tahoe up the hill I live on because he couldn't make it.:D

Back