• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cranks, but takes a second to fire

on the 97 up models there is no inline fuel filter, that is why the parts store are not finding anything for it. The only filter on 97-up units are the sock filters on the fuel pump that is located insde the tank. The fuel pump, pressure regulator and filter are all one unit for those models. I have replaced them on my 97, 98 and 99 and they all looked exactly the same. My 93 is a whole different creature and has the old style pump w/ the inline fuel filter that is located about a foot from the tank on the driver side uni-body /frame rail.

I tried the turn the key afew times before trying to crank it. It worked like a charm and started in like 1 and a half cranks. Better than like 5 to 8 cranks that it's normally been doing in the mornings.

My 91 did this and as soon as i replaced the fuel pump it wont even make it 2 cranks before it fires now......

I had the same problem. I took a leap and replaced the pump. Now everything works great. If I remember correctly, you can get the pump for less than 100 bucks online. I wouldn't mess with the fuel lines when you can fix the problem. Plus your lookin at about $350 for the whole assembly.

I had the same problem. I took a leap and replaced the pump. Now everything works great. If I remember correctly, you can get the pump for less than 100 bucks online. I wouldn't mess with the fuel lines when you can fix the problem. Plus your lookin at about $350 for the whole assembly.

$350 and you have to R & R a working pump?

You can buy a racing check valve from Summit/JEGS for less than $100, not pull the working pump, and buy $250 worth of beer or xj goodies.

What ever floats your boat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that 97 and later models have the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator housed in a separate unit that can be removed from the fuel pump. According to the Haynes manual, the filter and regulator can be pryed out of the fuel pump assembly. Just following this thread b/c I am having trouble starting too - poor pressure at the fuel rail and I have to bleed off several times before it starts. Once started, it runs great so I don't think I have a problem w/ the pump, filter, or injectors.

Are you saying you have too much pressure? If so that is a very, very good sign that the regulator has gone south on you.

My latest XJ was baught two weeks ago and it would crank forever!! I have ran 3 bottels of Techron through it and it hardly cranks before firing. It has 163,000 on it and runs great now.

If you can't identify a fuel problem, you might want to consider the TPS as well. When mine was out, it was impossible to tell if I was having a problem with fuel or spark. (consider this after you eliminate pretty much everything else).

S

sounds like fuel filter because its not getting enough gas at the first try. next fill up i would put a bottle of lucus fuel system cleanern and if it doesnt get better could be the pump

Back