• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS Swap

At 150K I would get a new one, put it in, keep the old one in a baggie under the back seat just in case.

Hey fellas, I was working on my jeep trying to replace the CPS today. I got the bottom nut out alright, but ran into trouble with the top one. Any suggestions, or tips? I have a couple to sockets, and a 3" and 6" extension. I just want to get this damn thing done! :) Thanks.

By the way, I have a 2001 Cherokee sport.

I use a 24" extension with a wobble end on it.

daddyphatsacs said:
Hey fellas, I was working on my jeep trying to replace the CPS today. I got the bottom nut out alright, but ran into trouble with the top one. Any suggestions, or tips? I have a couple to sockets, and a 3" and 6" extension. I just want to get this damn thing done! :) Thanks.

By the way, I have a 2001 Cherokee sport.

I was able to break it loose with a ratcheting box wrench thingie and then finished unscrewing it by hand. If you want to use a socket wrench, you will need a u-joint, and probably an additional 20" of extension.

The box wrench will only work on the top, there's no room for it on the bottom bolt. I did use a socket (+ujoint +26"+ of extension) to remove the lower, and to tighten both upper and lower (I got them started by hand)

Hey fellas, I just wanted to follow up with a thank you. I got my Jeep fixed tonight, I finally got the right tools and got the CPS swapped out. I crossed my finger and said a prayer when I turned it over.......and it fired up!...........after 1 and a half months of "NO BUS" errors. It was the first thing I've ever done like this.....and was mostly because of great help from you all. Again, thanks I really appreciate it........and am breathing easier tonight now that I finally fixed my Jeep.

:)

Back