• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

COPS and fender trimming.

cLAYH said:
I chased down one trucker and made him pay for my windsheild cause he was missing one flap and he threw a rock at me. I wouldn't hesitate to chase you down if you threw a rock a me and damaged my windsheild/vehicle.

im surprised the trucker gave you shit. i would have givin you a big glass of STFU.

uspsamaster said:
Here in Idaho you could still be pulled over for no mudflaps but there again most officers aren't going to care

Actually it does have mud flaps, if you look close the conveyor fenders continue back to the rear bumper, in the pic they are being held up by chain. Let the chain down and voila instant mud flaps.

I'm actually surprised that everyone is so concerned about what the cops will do to you. Don't you guys have any concern about the person behind you? I know that with these IROKS I can throw some good sized stones! Do it for your fellow four wheeler who's following you home after a day of wheeling, not the cops.

small pederson said:
im surprised the trucker gave you shit. i would have givin you a big glass of STFU.

Damaging someone else's vehicle is considered a motor vehicle accident wether you run into them, drop something off the top of a load, or throw a rock and smash out a windsheild.

Had the driver not stopped to exchange info I would be required to submit a police report. From there police would have to track down the driver and interview him. If it comes out that he knew about rock and windsheild but didn't stop anyway he could be charged with leaving the scene of an accident. The onus then is on me to prove that the rock came from your truck, made easier to do when you are missing a mud flap, which means a day in court for both of us.

So which would you rather do, pay out $100 for a new windsheild and get your flap fixed or have the cops poking about your bussiness and eventually taking a day off work for a court appearance?

anything that falls off a truck, for instance a tire blow out on a big rig, is not the fault of the truckers. it is comprehensive. at least thats how it is here. as far as throwing a rock, i'd have to check into that. i'm curious now though and guess i will. this aint canada and we americans do dumb shit:D

[cartmen voice] we do what we want [cartmen voice]

cLAYH said:
Damaging someone else's vehicle is considered a motor vehicle accident wether you run into them, drop something off the top of a load, or throw a rock and smash out a windsheild.

Had the driver not stopped to exchange info I would be required to submit a police report. From there police would have to track down the driver and interview him. If it comes out that he knew about rock and windsheild but didn't stop anyway he could be charged with leaving the scene of an accident. The onus then is on me to prove that the rock came from your truck, made easier to do when you are missing a mud flap, which means a day in court for both of us.

So which would you rather do, pay out $100 for a new windsheild and get your flap fixed or have the cops poking about your bussiness and eventually taking a day off work for a court appearance?

there is NO WAY IN HELL you could make that stick. if it were even remotely possible, every jackass with a rock chip in their window from following people too close could randomly pull somebody over and claim its their fault. id take my day in court and file a counter suit for my lost wages.

A friend of mine did just that, took the truck driver to court over the damage caused by a rock thrown at him by a truck that was missing its mud flap.

He was able to prove that the truck was indeed missing its flap that day, took a pic of the guys truck showing the missing flap and licsense plate

Unfortuantly it was not enough to prove that the rock that hit buddies windsheild was from that truck, so the judge did not award anything to my friend, BUT he did fine the truck owner $350 for not having a mud flap.

Sooo, they both lost a half day pay, my buddy was out $200 for his windsheild and the trucker was out $350 for the fine.

In my case the trucker and I split the cost of my windsheild, $100 each. No court, no police, way easier.

Here in Canada, glass is not covered under comprehensive unless it was broken during a break in. So you either foot the bill yourself or track down the truck and make him pay a portion. I imagine the reason we don't have a lot of these cases in court is that its not worth the $200 to go to court over it unless you just want to do it for the point of it.

Anyway thats why I run full flaps and flares, I'd be the biggest hipocrit if I made some trucker pay for smashing out the windsheild in my car and then go do the same thing to someone else in my Jeep.

Ramsey said:
anything that falls off a truck, for instance a tire blow out on a big rig, is not the fault of the truckers. it is comprehensive. at least thats how it is here. as far as throwing a rock, i'd have to check into that. i'm curious now though and guess i will. this aint canada and we americans do dumb shit:D

We do dumb shit here to! ;) Have you seen my mud flaps! HA HA!

Call your insurance company and tell them that a truck with a missing mud flap just threw a rock thru your windsheild. That's what I did when it happened to me. First off they told me that I'm SOL glass isn't covered. Next they told me to exchange info just like any other accident. If he doesn't produce papers then go file a report with the police and they will take it from there. Fortunatly the owner of the truck was quite easy to deal and agreed that the flap should have been replaced sooner. I guess his driver didn't report to him that it was missing. He offered to pay for half the windsheild, I accepted figuring that half was better than fighting for the full amount.

i work at a bodyshop and we get these often and its ALWAYS comprehensive, neve once in the 2 years i have been there(yeah not htat long) has someone else been responsible.

Ramsey said:
Here's a clue for you -- why do you think big rig drivers personally check their tires and wheels at the start of every trip, and many do so every time they stop? Answer -- because they (the individual driver, as well as the employer/company) are liable for anything that happens if that tire blows uut or falls off. Ditto the load. The driver is 100% responsible for securing his (or her) load, even if the actual loading or securing is done by other people working in the yard.

A CDL driver is sort of like a ship or airliner captain -- the driver is completely responsible for anything his rig does. Faulty equipment is generally not an excuse. The regs require that the driver check the rig to ensure that there isn't any faulty equipment.

By my information (in Iowa), if a rock falls off a construction truck or trailer and it bounces up and hits your glass it is the drivers fault. It falls under the driver not securing their load. If a rock is tossed up from the road because of big tires it is not the fault of the driver. The regulations of if a mud flap is missing or not is a question I can't answer.

just try to cover the tires and dont worry about it.. most laws state that the tread section of the tire must be covered.. if its close and appears that you tried to cover them.. you probably wont be harrassed.. oh and be polite if pulled over..
I have ugly old YJ flares covering LTB's 10.5's on 4" rims, definitely covers the tires.. a little overkill.. but I have enough other stuff thats "marginal" so why ignore the obvious....

I don't encourage anyone to chase anybody down to make them pay for a windshild busted by a rock. According to Texas law that is considered a road hazzard not an accident. It is not the fault of the vehicle that kicked up the rock. It's the dumba$$ fault for following too close to the vehicle in front of them.

Just last week some dude in a Toyota Tundra chased my wife down and forced her vehicle off the road. He claimed that a rock was thrown from her tire to his windshield. He demanded her name and her insurance information. She refused to give it to them. He began to demand that she pay for the windshield and that it was her fault. She called me scared out of her mind. I told her to get out of there and go strait to a police station.

I can't believe someone would chase someone down because of a windshield. If I ever find this guy or if anyone else chases down my wife about a rock or anything else... They will have more to deal with than a broken windshield.

Overdriven said:
It is not the fault of the vehicle that kicked up the rock. It's the dumba$$ fault for following too close to the vehicle in front of them.

Well said!!!

Some people are just the kind that want others to be liable for things, no matter what happened.

There is a saying in the states that applies to a situation like this and it is "shit happens".

In AZ only "trucks of a modified ride height, or a GVW over 10,000lbs" are required to have mud flaps, Hell we dont even need fenders to be legal. living in the desert, rock chips are as inevidable as sunshine. :sunshine: Thats why zero glass coverage is so cheap.

Being as that I live in Oregon, drive an XJ, and work with the Portland Police, I figured it was my civil duty to chime in on this. The exact answer to your question is defined in Oregon Revised Statutes 815.180(definition-mudguards and fenders), 815.182(mudguards required for specific vehicles), 815.185(operation without proper fenders or mudguards - C Violation), and 815.190(exemptions-fenders and mudguards). Since these are entirely to long to type out myself, heres the link to the online version of the Oregon Revised Statutes, provided by our states fair legislature(HAHAHA!!). Not quite sure how to post links to specific sites, but if it doesn't work, just copy and paste it into your browser.

http://landru.leg.state.or.us/ors/815.html

if anyone is interested in this issue for California, the law is CVC 27600 if you want to look it up online. It's very vague and basically you just need to have some cover that is the full width of the tire, but no guidance of how tall it has to be. The vagueness could also work against you if a cop is having a bad day, in that case hopefully the judge isn't having a bad day when you go to fight it.

Overdriven said:
Just last week some dude in a Toyota Tundra chased my wife down and forced her vehicle off the road. He claimed that a rock was thrown from her tire to his windshield. He demanded her name and her insurance information. She refused to give it to them. He began to demand that she pay for the windshield and that it was her fault. She called me scared out of her mind. I told her to get out of there and go strait to a police station.

Can't you just shoot someone for that in Texas?

no no thats for being mexican or black

doodahman said:
Can't you just shoot someone for that in Texas?

It got me pretty fired up. If I wasn't on duty I'd had been out there as fast as I could to "discuss" the situation with him.

Ramsey - I don't get your comment. Re-phrase please. Before this thread takes another turn down a different road.

Back