• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling issues/bad head gasket?

Ok so here is where I stand right now. I started it up today to check hose tempuratures and see if things are flowing correctly. The upper radiator hose was cool untill the tempurater gauge inside read normal. As soon as it hits normal the hose heats up followed by the radiator. The temp gauge shows that it cools back down and then it just progressively gets hotter until it overheats. Anyone have any new ideas? I am going to start over with the cooling system.

Could anyone suggest a place to get a fan spacer to replace the fan clutch all together?

What water pump is the BEST one to get?

I already have a CSF 3 row radiator, any other suggestions?

If anyone has any alternate ideas please let me know!

THANKS!

I had about the same thing hapining to my xj same radiator 2 years old and overheating so I got a aluminum rad and all overheating is is gone. All I gan figer is the 3 rows are just to small and stop up easy the aluminum is 1 row but it is like 1 3/8 in so it mite not stop up as easy as the three little ones

No expert, but I didn't read someone mentioning the spring that is in the lower radiator hose. That could have become loose and is allowing it to compress at higher speeds, thus your higher temp.

Only a thought,

Kellen

Ok I took the jeep home from where it was parked (about 30 miles). Here is what I did to get it home, I put some radiator flush in hoping beyond hope that it might help me out, flushed it clean (no change) took out the thermostat added water and coolant and proceeded to drive home. About half way it just got to hot I couldn't bear to drive it any further. I pulled over and shut her down. I then decided to disconnect and reconnect the two temp sensors that I have, what I found is that the small one on the back of the cylinder head controls the gauge and the one in the thermostat housing makes the jeep run, whatever that means. I waited probably about 15 minutes and got bored and turned it on again only to find that it had not cooled at all. By the way how come the temp gauge is the only one that doesn't go down when the car is shut off? I decided I am tired of my jeep so I unplugged the gauge sensor and decided it was time to drive home. Well I made it here no problems at all, who knows if it was overheating the whole time or not. When you guys shut off your fully warmed up jeeps can you hear a little boiling sound in the radiator when you get close? Tomorrow I will go and get an infrared thermometer and check the true tempurature of the radiator. The end.

I chased a similar problem that ended up being a bad radiator cap, it was venting at a much lower pressure than it should have.

Switched the cap from my parts truck and no more overheating.

Back