• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant leak, help please

dsapper

NAXJA Forum User
I have a coolant leak that is only sporadic. It only leaks after I've been driving alot of stop and go, and coolant comes out of the firewall at the condensation hose below the heater core hoses and condenser. It leaks quite a bit when it does, enough to leave a good sized puddle under the cherokee.

I was thinking heater core but there is no leak on the inside of the jeep. I can't test the heater because its 110 out here, not sure how I'd even know.

Any advice?!

Where would the water come from if its runoff, condensation? If so is it enough to leave a large puddle? A very large puddle?

Stick your finger in it and have a taste.. Coolant is sweet, yet awfull. Condensation will taste of nothing. (water)

I'm assuming it's condensation, but yeah, it comes out from an open hose on the passenger side firewall. The hose is underneath all the heater core and evap lines and the majority of runoff will (appears to me anyways) fall into / onto the frame and exit underneath the Jeep that way.

A few weeks ago I drove from Lancaster to Perris on a nice hot / humid day, stop n go on the freeway towards the end of the trip and parking on blacktop at destination in Perris I saw the same large puddle (was like, "great, it's gonna be one of those days") I'd imagine you're looking at and it just turned out to be water and this is when I found this hose..

That is condensation from the A/C...that little open rubber pipe serves the same function as the PVC (usually) pipe from your home HVAC that daylights outside somewhere

I'll taste it the next time it happens, its not every day and it was very very humid the last time it happened (had been raining for 8 hours before hand). I'm leaning towards ac runoff but I'm shocked by the ammount.

Back