• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

control arm swap.. and lift suggestion

mr.vic

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, i am sure the subject has been beat to death every other week but i am fairly new to the XJ world and need to update the suspension on my 93 cherokee country. looking for some advice.

the specs are 1993, 4.0L auto, 231, non disco front housing, 8 1/4 rear axle. gear ratio? 3.55 perhaps? suspension stock

can i swap control arms, shocks and coils from either a TJ or grand cherokee into the XJ without any mods?

I am going to relocate the front brake line down to get an extra inch or two. and looking at the budget lift methods, because I need to update the old parts and dont have enough funds for a good lift kit yet.

my plan was:

grand cherokee coils,control arms and steering linkage. new shocks or re use the ones from the grand cherokee. 1" coil spacer. and AAL for the rear leaf pack. i dont think a t case drop will be necessary but will put one in if there are driveshaft vibes. also is track bar relocation bracket needed?

your thoughts? good or bad idea? or just save up the $400 for a RE lift?

save up or the kit, its easier than spending all that time piecing together all the parts and labor needed for a kit.

A couple of things ...
If your Jeep is a '93, I'm pretty sure it will have a Dana 35 rear axle
You are planning on only 1" of lift ... you shouldn't have to change anything. That's a pretty small amount. You shouldn't need to worry about a t-case drop, steering mods, or anything else. Just lift it 1" with spacers in the front, and some longer shackles or blocks in the back and go with it.

keener said:
A couple of things ...
If your Jeep is a '93, I'm pretty sure it will have a Dana 35 rear axle
You are planning on only 1" of lift ... you shouldn't have to change anything. That's a pretty small amount. You shouldn't need to worry about a t-case drop, steering mods, or anything else. Just lift it 1" with spacers in the front, and some longer shackles or blocks in the back and go with it.

he said grand coils and a spacer. so almost 3 inches.

i was thinking could go up to 3" using coil and spacer.

are the grand cherokee control arms a cheap upgrade if the bushings are good? havent seen them yet but are they same length or just more beef to them compared to xj ones.

rear diff is not dana35, thanks for the help. :D

Back