• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Console removal 90 XJ

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 90 XJ 2-door with a 5-spd. How do I remove the black part of the center console from the center console? I found 2 screws under the door for the console compartment but when I unscrewed them it only came undone up to the shifter boot, I looked for other screws but couldn't find any. I'm planning on reusing it so I can't brake it.
Thanks guys

There are the two screws under the lid, and two more under the shifter boot, as well as one under the transfer case shifter bezel (as I recall.)

You'll have to finagle around with the shifter to get the thing out, and have the handbrake pulled all the way on. Once you have the screws out, you should be able to flex it past the handbrake handle and out.

There are some more screws to remove the rest of the console body.

Any particular reason you're pulling it out, or just being picky about cleaning?

5-90

I lost some cash thru the gap under the E-Brake, plus I'm putting in some switches.
The boot will come out if I wiggle it out, right? Also by the T-Case shifter bezel you mean the brush looking thingy, right?
Thanx for the tips

Yeah - kinda "fingertip" on the edges of the boot, and rock back on your knuckles kinda like a prybar - it's just snapped in.

The tacse bezel is the brush and indicator window - just stick your finger in either end and pull up - it pops right out.

What's the "finder's fee" for telling you how to get in there? :wave: :laugh3:

Last time I put a batch of switches in the console, I put them in the body right next to my knee - which made it easier to get into and out of the console for other things. I've seen them put in various places in the black fascia - but I prefer to make things easier for myself. Besides, I'm a knuckle-dragger, and I don't have any trouble hitting the switches down by my knee anyhow...

5-90

Thanks for the help.

Whcih way does the shifter boot go in? There's a side that site higher and one that sits lower, which side faces the E-Brake?

Back