• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Congressional health care

tbburg

NAXJA Forum User
Good to see these people know how to fix the health care system and lower costs:
From the NYT . . . . . "The law" is the health care reform act, whatever they called it.
...,In a new report, the Congressional Research Service says the law may have significant unintended consequences for the “personal health insurance coverage” of senators, representatives and their staff members.

For example, it says, the law may “remove members of Congress and Congressional staff” from their current coverage, in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program, before any alternatives are available,....

....,“It is unclear whether members of Congress and Congressional staff who are currently participating in F.E.H.B.P. may be able to retain this coverage,” the research service said in an 8,100-word memorandum.

And even if current members of Congress can stay in the popular program for federal employees, that option will probably not be available to newly elected lawmakers, the report says.

Moreover, it says, the strictures of the new law will apply to staff members who work in the personal office of a member of Congress. But they may or may not apply to people who work on the staff of Congressional committees and in “leadership offices” like those of the House speaker and the Democratic and Republican leaders and whips in the two chambers,...
From "Hot Air":
Turns out that fantastically long, mind-bogglingly complex bills which no one has actually read may create unintended consequences. Remember how they forgot to require insurers to cover kids with preexisting conditions? Oh, and they forgot initially to let young adults be covered by their parents’ insurance until Reid fixed it in reconciliation. Now this. Who knew that when Pelosi said they’d have to pass the bill so that people could find out what’s in it, “people” meant Congress?

I’d call it comedy gold if not for the obvious point raised by the Times: “If they did not know exactly what they were doing to themselves, did lawmakers who wrote and passed the bill fully grasp the details of how it would influence the lives of other Americans?”

Link to article in NYT

Link to commentary at Hot Air

Oh, I do so enjoy a good bout of irony...

This is what happens when you try to pass something so onerous and complex. I recall asking both Speaker Pelosi and Representative Lofgren if they'd actually read the wretched thing - they were going to vote on it, right? - but I never did get an answer.

Seems I have one now. The answer isn't terribly surprising, but the result is potentially gratifying ("If it's not good enough for you, what makes it so damned good for us?")

Oh, delicious!

That is funny!

I found it interesting that after the Bill passed, the President himself went on a campaign to sell us on the Law. Isn't that a lot like closing the barn door after the cows ran off and the barn burned down?

Ron

More like the car dealer coming to your houe, stealing $8000 from you and then selling you on that new Tata Nano.

Back