• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Conferr vs Wilderness vs Matts Farmboy - Racks

Best Roof Rack for 94 XJ? - Prefer Full Length

• Conferr

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Wilderness

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Farmboy Designs

Votes: 35 62.5%
  • Other <-- List : "No Rack" Not an Option due to Dogs/Trips

Votes: 8 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally, with my first XJ, I had chosen on the Conferr. Now, from the input I have seen, I would go to the Farmer. BUT, the rack that looks good (to me) is Kevin's. Even though you can't go Kevin's, I am saving my pennies up for that rack.

Yep, I like Matt and Kevin's. Almost like Kevin's better, even though it doesn't have the sliders. Maybe by the time I have the $$$ a rack he'll have a compatible mounting system for my rain gutters. Heh.

ARB make a real sweet rack for the XJ, no idea what they cost, but they are nice. Can you, or do you know someone who can weld? Make your own! I'll post some picks of mine when I get home tonite.

OH, I used to have a Con-Ferr and for the life of me I couldn't keep that damn thing stable, it would bounce and shake from side to side even with 4 rain-gutter mounts on each side.

basalt51 said:
I guess it depends on your needs. If you want the stongest, best rack that servers to actually protect part of the vehicle get Matt's. If you're never going to be leaning your XJ into trees or rocks then such a heafty design may not be needed.

On this note I'd like to add a known fact to the actual end cost of the Farm Boy rack. All you need to do is lean the back corner (the hatch, rain gutter, rear pillar area specifically) into a rock or tree and the repair cost by a quality body shop will exceed the cost of the rack purchase. Go ahead; ask me how I know this one. :D On a couple of occasions I've also seen holes ripped into the roof that this rack would have prevented.

As far as mounting strength goes, I've (twice) seen the rain gutters ripped off with the rack. I can not speak for the Kevin's rack but the FB rack mounts with 16 steel nutserts (8/side) w/ 5/16” bolts at the two outside roof ribs. This area of the roof is directly above the boxed in "beam" that runs the length of the roof. There is no stronger area on the roof.

The FB is also VERY low profile when compared to many other racks out there. There is less than an inch gap between the roof and the bottom of the rack. Then there's the cool factor, not seeing the same rack on half the XJs you see on the trail.

Oh that's great, I typed all this and just noticed that this thread is ancient. Oh well. What can I say other than I'm very happy with my Farm Boy rack, so there. Now terry can lock up another antique! :D

TIM

Thanks for the responses, old or not, I have the thread set to subscription so I know if someone comments. Haven't had the funds to get a rack yet (did get my RE lift on though, hehe), so the more input even this far along the better!

CONN-FERR ALL THE WAY. I bought the OPW (one piece weld) full length (6' long by 4'6") wide with the gutter mount brackets = SOLID, SOLID, SOLID. I am a property insurance adjuster and use the rack to travel across the country with the rack packed full with all my gear and use it daily for a ladder rack. No problems except yes, it does show some small signs of rust where I have scraped off the powder coat finish with my ladder. I did a lot of research on rack and my choice was the same as yours: Conn-ferr vs. Wilderness rack. Both showed similar strength qualities but I chose the Conn-ferr simply because it looks better than the Wilderness rack. I think I paid $700 for the rack, mounting brackets, and shipping to Indiana from CA, not cheap but worth it in the long haul = totally satisfied.

I had a conferr, now on my brothers jeep. Strong but rusted. I would go with a farmermatt rack and I will one of these days.------Kyle

I really like the non-standard look that Kevin's has compared to many of the others that look alot alike. However last time I checked the site the only mount for it was to attach to a stock rack system which, isn't as strong as the gutters IMO and which my XJ doesn't have. I'll check it again. Also the rounded tubing seems like it would be nice as well. Still a ways off before I can buy, so keep the input comin.

I have the ConFerr and love it. I have had it for 5 years now. Some rust but easy enought to keep under control. VERY SOLID. I have all the attachments for it: Tire, HiLift, Axe/Shovel, lights. Mine is a factory mount. The only problem I had was I bumped it on my carprt and it slid back some. Quick fix. If you get one get the solid with 6" sides. Makes a world of differance. The styling is nice as well. all aroud :05of5:

5_1213san9AWl9gRoh_large.jpg

avsno2000 said:
i can't really vote for but i have a conferr rack and have had rust issues with it. its nice and strong though. i got it about three years back so maybe they have fixed the issues wiht rust.

When I bought my Conferr rack used, it had some minor rust spots. I stripped it and used flat black rustoleum paint and no more rust. I've had it about nine months now and she's still holding up.

Just my 2 cents.

I needed a rack that was strong, had attachment points for a spare and a hi-lift, and with a low profile so I could still get in the garage, this is what I built;

Top view...

96kv43.jpg

From the front....

96kvhc.jpg

And few more...

96kvx0.jpg

96kxdv.jpg

96kxi1.jpg

Please try and keep pics small for the dial-up challenged like myself. :D

I recently purchased the new Thule MOAB basket and figured that I might add it this thread. It is a lot better looking (IMO) than the old "Playpen" basket they had previously offered. I have had it for about a month now and love it...VERY strong. It typically uses two cross bars across the top of the basket to mount bikes, ski,etc.. I, instead, mounted my bike racks to the outside of the crossbars upon which the basket is mounted. I then modified (cut) the short bars and brackets that came with the basket to use as a light mount. Works well...

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back