• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

conceal carry passes in illinois!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would anyone need to conceal carry?

Yes now for the 16 hours of class and all the BS in the bill...but is has passed and Quinn was pretty much shut down and made to look like the idiot he is.

What exactly did they override?? All of his changes to the original law, some part of his changes.. or what?

In order for out of state residents to be eligible for an Illinois license, their state’s concealed carry license laws must be substantially similar to those of Illinois

This law is okay for Il. residence, but unless you live where carry licenses are virtually impossible to get, you probably won't get one for IL.

That was previously addressed. The initial bill had NO reciprocity in it. The Reps. I spoke to said that there were plans to address later through the amendment process.

I would be willing to bet that IL's permit will be honored by a bunch of states like the Florida and Utah permits. Could be worth getting for out-of-staters.

That was previously addressed. The initial bill had NO reciprocity in it. The Reps. I spoke to said that there were plans to address later through the amendment process.

that's why the work will never be done.

we're just getting warmed up.

we will keep fighting.

we need you

I would be willing to bet that IL's permit will be honored by a bunch of states like the Florida and Utah permits. Could be worth getting for out-of-staters.

Here is what the ISP says about reciprocity. This was posted in the last couple days...

Are out-of-state Concealed Carry permit holders granted reciprocity in Illinois?

No. Out-of-state residents who want to carry a concealed firearm on his/her person must obtain an Illinois Concealed Carry License to lawfully carry a concealed firearm in Illinois. In order for out-of-state residents to be eligible for an Illinois license, their state’s concealed carry license laws must be substantially similar to those of Illinois. The Illinois State Police will establish rules to identify the elements necessary to meet the substantially similar requirement.

However, out of state residents are granted a limited exception to lawfully carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle if they are eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law. This rule becomes effective immediately.

If the non-resident leaves leaves his/her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

So it's almost impossible for non-residents to get an IL permit. What a load bullshit. Wisconsin only requires a 4 hour training course. Indiana requires no training. I don't know about MI, KY, TN, IA, MO, OH and other nearby states, but without looking I would bet that FL and UT are the only ones that would come close. And even if someone from say MI has a UT license, even though they've gone through similar training, they're still not going to be able to get an IL license because UT isn't their state of residence.

So screwed up.

At least when I go home I can keep my pistol on my hip the whole trip now. Score .5 for me. I won't give them a whole point for that.

Edit: "their state’s concealed carry license laws must be substantially similar to those of Illinois."

Wonder what the hell that means...

It means, good luck getting one.

Oh, wow. Thanks for that...

I'm wondering if there's a difference between the laws and the requirements for obtaining the permit.

Concealed carry laws in Wisconsin and Indiana require a license. Open carry law in Wisconsin doesn't require a license but Indiana does. Illinois requires a license to concealed carry. Those specific "concealed carry license laws" are all "substantially similar."

Interpretation could mean a lot of trouble. The word of the law is meant to be taken very literally and I would like to know specifics.

I'm going at this assuming that it means 16hrs. I would just like to know if they will issue to non-residents if they fulfill their requirements even if my state doesn't require such a stringent amount of training.

I'm down for 16 hours of training, Hell I'd be down for more. Not because of Illinois requirements but because more training makes a person more proficient!

Definitely! I'm looking at options for training in the GB area. I have no idea what kind of credentials it will give me towards any other state's junk. I suppose it depends on who puts on the class and whether or not they're recognized by the state. Whatever, training is training.

Beez. Has any more come from the state of IL allowing NRA instructors? Do you know anything more on what exactly a non-resident would have to go through? Maybe some of the finer points that haven't been covered.

Back