• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Computer Power Supply

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Do these things run at their rated power all the time, or just when they need to?

I had a couple things 12VDC that need power and also was thinking of upgrading my desktop PC PSU at the same time...

The power rating on the psu is like the amp rating on a alternator. It's the max it can put out for a short time before it starts having problems.

The most common source of failure on computer supplies is a bad fan causing overheating and failure. Make sure the supply has a ball bearing fan. Normally they are quieter and last longer. Cooling is king. The bigger the fan, normally the better the cooling.

I prefer th e modulars, they have sockets on the PS and a bag full of cables so you can mix and match and not have a bigassed bundle after you plug in a hard drive, optical and the two for the motherboard and maybe one for the video card. This one had good ratings and after I got it the quality was outstanding.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817702010
Darn thing is quiet too.... the downside is it is not a modular but she had 2HD's, 2opticals, floppy, SLI video card so it worked out OK.

Yea my next system will be a Core I7 940 or 950 with 12gig Tripple Channel DDR3
with 2 Nvidia Geforce 285.. Thats when i get done with my jeep lol

Back