• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Commonly broken XJ items...what are they?

Yep, my center console latch was broken too until I got another from the pick-n-pull.

Other commonly broken things are the 4wd light sensor. I haven't replaced that just yet.

power locks are shot, oil pressure sensor, console latch is good, rear hatch only opens for me... aside from that she is doing great. There is still the budget thing though...

Josh

Center console latch, a/c compressor, clockspring, blower motor resistor, hatch lifts, hood latch release, hatch handle mechanism, catalytic converter, rocker trim inside drivers door, multiple interior panel clips, rear drum brakes, rear main seal.
Most repaired, 163k miles, really cant complain, all other is rock solid.

Is it just me....or does it seem like the more DammitChrysler influence on the XJ, the crappy the got? (Airbag=broken clock spring, centerconsole catch, HVAC issues, etc....). Just wondering...

I love this. All the little issue over 6 pages. Would say at least half the vehicle are about 15 years old, used and some what abused out on the trail. Would have to say all in all not a bad list of items. Hit a page like http://www.epinions.com/ and start looking at vehicles you will find lists this long on newer cars. The huge plus you can open the hood and you have an engine. I pop the hood on a new car to find a hunk of plasic laying over what I assume is an engine under it.

clunk said:
My 1990 with only just over 100k has been a real lemon, I'm selling it to buy something more reliable. I heard talk of people commenting on how reliable the cherokee is. Maybe I got a lemon, but as far as I'm concerned it's just another domestic piece of crap--that only gets 11MPG to boot.

Not trying to beat up on ya but its almost 20 years old and i didn't see a tune up, an oil change or a fuel and air filter replacement on the list that would have helped ur mpg... I have had 3 90's and the only time it left me stranded was when the CPS crapped out because I forgot to attach it back to the firewall and it melted on the exhaust. Sounds to me like it hasn't been maintained too well (I'm guessing previous owner). My 2nd 90 got 18-19 mpg with 31's not taking into consideration i didn't recalibrate with bigger tires and that was after draining all the water out of the engine block due to a "24 hour incident" involvin deep water lol.

My list of repairs not caused by wheeling on my 3 90 xjs and one 93:

3 CPS on 3 jeeps all 90's
1 broken stock leaf but could have been to wheeling
1 stuck ebrake cable (I do live in New England, everything up here rusts)
replaced calipers once on 1 jeep, still usin em (same axles)
drum brake kit (springs and shoes) twice
1 ujoint on the 30, 2 on the rear driveshaft
1 wheel/unit bearing
tranny mount
2 tune ups
1 internal slave unit leaked (could have been due to being underwater for 24 hours or just let go, don't know to be honest)
Key broke in the tumbler so changed that once
maybe 2 burnt bulbs on the tailights
1 wiring gremlin around my coil/distributor (last owner was a hack and the wires were bare and only had 2 runnin to the distributor)

The only reason I got rid of an xj was because it was rotted and beat up from wheelin and winter salt. Each time I found another $300 xj that seamed like a better investment in time/money.

oh one thing i noticed has ANYONE been able to keep their rear wiper arm on a pre 97? the only one i saw was on my friend's. he was angry/retarded and ripped it off. I don't know if they break off due to abuse or bad design. but all my jeeps were wheeled stock so i have never seen one on.

Now my wheeling breaks on the other hand lol let's just say i have bad luck wheeling at times
well 1 bad starter ... mud
1 axle shaft and u joint (30)
3 or 4 tie rods
3 or 4 gas tanks lol finally put a skid on after the last one
3/4 exhausts (or what i like to call the quick release exhaust system :D)
1 radiator (tranny miunt let go and i was dumb and still messed around and ya can figure out what happened

So far i haven't put hardly any money into these machines and they have been the most dependable vehicle I have had. I would buy another xj in a heart beat (if something happened to mine lol)

They should! I don't believe my front speakers are blown - just the ones in the sound bar. As far as I can tell, I plan to replace them all eventually. Although it isn't a top priority atm.

i dont know if this was common, but this is what happened to the previous owner of my jeep, which happens to be my cousin.

Bought the XJ brand new in 1997 from henson dodge in sealy, texas. Hopped on I-10 to head home and at 70 mph, the hood decides to fly open, luckily my cousin had the window down and was able to stop safely, called up henson and sent out a tow truck to pick up the XJ. Got back to the dealership and they said that the hood latch was faulty and they would replace the hood for free.

Seems that they skimped on the paint since the clearcoat failed and the paint is oxidized badly.

Other than that, the jeep has been dead reliable, just had the replace the consumables.(Except the Clutch, which is still original).

hmm. lets see whats broken so far.
96 xj 123000miles
clogged up cat and muffler, cut off exaust
O2 sensor went south
console latch
rear shock bolts
sway bar tore apart while trying to wheel it stock
rear wiper fluid hose
found my fuel filter filled with brown ooze
seal in my differental is leaking
but reqaurdless i would never get rid of my rig

1991 2wd( I know, I know) 2.5L 5spd xj 126,000
Throw-out bearing
which coated the clutch and flywheel with fluid
Water pump
Coil
O2 took a carp
clogged cat too BFH and prybar fixed that
ax5 input gear
rear drive shaft u joints (needle bearings looked like metal sand)
d35 diff yoke ear
rearend replaced with one from 85 wagoneer non-c clip d35 with a posi( I think) after it blew up on the freeway pealing part of the housing around the diff seal like an apple
found a center console latch out of the wagoneer I got the rearend from
motor seazed on I-15
Aparently PO used it as a tow rig for his boat!
motor from 97 should be in in about a month as soon as i get all the parts
the thought of getting rid of her didnt even cross my mind.

Last edited:
90XJay said:
Not trying to beat up on ya but its almost 20 years old and i didn't see a tune up, an oil change or a fuel and air filter replacement on the list that would have helped ur mpg

Sorry, should have mentioned that all that was already done. My post was just after a particularly frustrating week with the jeep. All is well now and I doubt I'd ever sell it. I like my rig, even though it isn't perfect, it works well for what I need it to do. Ive since invested in a lift and new shocks (not installed yet), but I'm sure this will improve the ride and whatnot..and of course, keep me happy with the rig for another while. I think I'll keep it till it completely dies. Even if I sink 50-100 bucks a month in parts into her, it's still cheaper than a new car payment, and at least I can fix this thing myself with a few simple tools when in a pinch.

My latch broke 2 weeks ago...
Power window control only works from the drivers side on my 99.
Hazard lights only blink on the front right??? Turn signals work fine though.
Need new struts on the lift gate.
Coolant system was junk on my 88. Over heated it a couple of times and killed it. I made sure on the 99 to not let that happen.
I have been eating front U-joints.
Still on my original steering stabilizer, with about 170,000, that is the next thing to be fixed when I have a little extra money.

Last edited:
Back