• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coming back to life (very slowly)

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

My baby car is a tiny 1997 VW Golf K2 edition. It was my gift to me for finishing college in the top tier while raising a kid, working almost full time and driving 120 miles a day on average in order to accomplish all of the above.

Back to the cah...Wife was driving it and someone who didnt know that has to yield to the oncoming traffic when attempting to make a left turn hit her. That was two years ago and since my car has been sitting in the carport. I only fixed the airbags and computer, but have not changed the clockspring yet.

So, the main priority besides work is to fix the car this spring, repaint it and start driving it again. Not much to ask for, right?

Needless to say, despite its condition, the car was running before I left it. I did not prepare it for the long stay, because my intent was to fix it immediately.

I did some search, employed some of brain cells that I have left and here is the plan:

Replace fuel, fuel pump and filter.
Replace brake fluid and possible the lines.
Replace coolant hoses, coolant, water pump, thermostat.
Replace power steering fluid.
Replace belts.
Repack bearings if possible.
Replace starter, I know it is still the original one.
Replace spark plugs, wires, solenoid, cap and rotor.
Clean the throttle body.
Replace the oil and filter.
Replace air filter.
Replace timing belt.
Replace a leaky valve cover gasket.
Replace tires, do an alignment.
Lube locks and hinges.

While having the belts off, check if everything such as, alternator, ac etc could be turned by hand.

Prior to replacing the spark plugs, squirt liquid wrench or similar into the cylinders for a week or so.
Turn the engine by hand if possible and then turn it with the starter (spark plugs out) to get the new fuel going.
Start the car, run it around the block and then check for leaks. Running seafoam through it might not be a bad idea. Replace oil within 200 miles of driving. Check for leaks again.

Here are the questions:

1. Did I miss anything?
2. While doing those, what else makes sense to replace?
3. Is it possible to turn the engine by hand and how?
4. Which sensors does it make sense to replace at this time as a preventative maintenance, considering the mileage of the vehicle?
5. I hear constantly the term “chains replaced” in the classifieds section, what chains do they refer to?
6. Someone mentioned “do not use water to clean an engine”. Why and what should I use?
7. Someone wrote somewhere: “What I do is take an air attachment for an air compressor, one of the ones that just sprays compressed air, and blow it in the return line in the engine bay, then all the gas will come out of the main line. I found that out the hard way lol”. Wouldnt just cranking it without the spark plugs get rid of the old fuel? Or I am missing something here.

Please, keep in mind that I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance and dont subscribe to the "If aint broke, dont fix it". My XJ received a new water pump, timing chain, fan clutch, harmonic balancer etc for its 170K birthday last summer...

I know, these are a lot of question, but wanted to let you know that I appreciate your time. Thanks in advance for helping me out.

Best

Boris

P.S. Here are some pictures for you to enjoy and give you an idea what I am up to...enjoy...:)

PICT3601.png
PICT3601.png

PICT3602.gif

I wouldn't replace all those parts, but it wouldn't hurt. Is there something wrong with the fuel and water pumps and the brake lines? Get her running and then see what is needed. It may indeed need that stuff, but don't spend money you don't have to. It's not like you're restoring a classic car or anything.

I am just going to assume that my plan is perfect and cannot be improved upon...

Boris

P.S. We could argue about what constitutes a classic car, but in this case, I intend to keep it forever, because of its sentimental value.

Back