• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche storage options

Cnickgo

Do you need assistance?
I want to extend my comanche multisport capability. You would think an 8ft bed would be all you need but I have found when I pack things for excursions I run out of safe bed space and especially dry storage. I haul snowboards, bikes, fishing poles and gear, and occasionally my jetski in the bed. I foresee a kayak or sup in the future for fishing. I'm looking at two options.

Bed rack: something height adjustable like the Thule Xsporter. It would have bike mounts, snowboard rack, fishing rod tube, and possibly a cargo basket. I would use either a cargo bag or large totes underneath for dry storage. Advantages are that fully extended the jet ski should fit underneath and easier access to the bed for yard/junk work.

Option number 2 there is a bed cap close by that is long bed MJ specific. I would have more dry partially secure storage. In order to mount a rack I would either have to by tracks and new Thule towers for about $400 or permanently mount rain gutter adaptors for $50 to use the towers I already have, which wouldn't be adjustable back and forth once mounted. Bikes would probably have to go on top as lowering the seat post is a big no no. I would need to remove the cap for hauling the jet ski and large items. Extra cost to paint the cap as it's currently tan.

I keep going back and forth, anyone have experience or an opinion on these set ups?

that link you sent me.

that guy needs to step away from the crack pipe. $400 is absurd. I picked up my hi-top leer for $125.

I vote shell, but I live an old man life.
When searching for caps:
80's s10/s15 longbed are identical. I had an s10 cap on the 87. 95ish+ caps will not fit.
mid 90's ranger caps also fit. The one after the ranger got some curves and wasn't 80's boxy. The s10 caps fit better because they have a flatter front, but ranger caps fit the box just fine. Pretty ricky has a shortbed ranger cap on it right now.

find you a hi top shell and you can still fit the bikes in standing up. probably fit your ski in there too.

I don't know if there are any hard tonneau covers available that fit a MJ, but you could mount assorted Thule/Yakima racks to the top and have secure dry storage underneath. Pull it off for the jetski or trailer it like everyone else :D

cab height one

http://greenville.craigslist.org/pts/4609107187.html

$150
same front as my ranger one. It will fit. pretty sure 76 is the longbed measurement.

I need 89". I definitely want a cab height, I just cant get over how ugly hi-rise caps are (no offense) and it would be easier to mount a rack on top if it was all the same height. $400 is way higher than the rest but still in the price range of the other rack option im considering. I picked up some oil filter adaptor o-rings at the dealership today and the gentleman who was working the same parts counter when MJs were new (he has been there awhile, I like dealing with him) said he has never heard of any special offer from dealerships with a top set-up.

A dream come true would be to find a Wildernest.

Last edited:
I don't know if there are any hard tonneau covers available that fit a MJ, but you could mount assorted Thule/Yakima racks to the top and have secure dry storage underneath. Pull it off for the jetski or trailer it like everyone else :D

Not a bad idea but I wouldn't have the over cab extension for kayak/rod tube.

No trailer is awesome! I don't have to worry about trailer tires or hubs and it makes trips to the drive on beach much easier where they don't allow trailers.

wildernests seem to be popping up a lot lately. my buddy just picked one up. they are out there. i would go with the cap route either way. and your bed is 7ft, not 8 :)

I'd make use of what you have and then have a canvas cover of some sort made.

Lots of companies out there making soft caps instead of hard ones ...use rack systems etc for storage but then you can put the canvas on to cover everything up.

Should be able to make you're own for CHEAP compared to buying a ready made one.

Hell just the TJ bikini top mounted on the cab and the bolted in roll bar I Have on mine keeps things fairly dry (over that section).

Another option...M416 trailer. I had no truck for quite a while and the M416 was my truck at that time...hauled a LOT of stuff with it behind my CJ5...an MJ would tow one easily and with the lunette on it...taking it offroad is cake. Cost a little more money but gives you TONS more options for space/storage.

Honestly, I've been wanting to try to make something like a Can-back but I think the price of the canvas work would make it not as feasible.

http://www.can-back.com/

I've been pondering the same thing about my Silverado. Except I also have a tool box that I'd have to either remove every time or replace with one that doesn't sit on the bed rails.

^He beat me to it, kinda. lol

Buy a couple sticks of HREW and come here and we could build what you want. Then go get a canvas cover made?

wildernests seem to be popping up a lot lately. my buddy just picked one up. they are out there. i would go with the cap route either way. and your bed is 7ft, not 8 :)

7.5 ft which of course makes it confusing because some call it 7 some call it 8. Either way it's 89". Most of the Wildernests I have seen for sale are on the wrong side of the country.

I'd make use of what you have and then have a canvas cover of some sort made.

Lots of companies out there making soft caps instead of hard ones ...use rack systems etc for storage but then you can put the canvas on to cover everything up.

Should be able to make you're own for CHEAP compared to buying a ready made one.

Hell just the TJ bikini top mounted on the cab and the bolted in roll bar I Have on mine keeps things fairly dry (over that section).

Another option...M416 trailer. I had no truck for quite a while and the M416 was my truck at that time...hauled a LOT of stuff with it behind my CJ5...an MJ would tow one easily and with the lunette on it...taking it offroad is cake. Cost a little more money but gives you TONS more options for space/storage.

I originally had plans to build an all inclusive 416 trailer that I could store all the toys in and just hookup and go. Unfortunately I won't have parking for it in a few months so the MJ needs to be self sufficient.

I really like the soft top idea. If Softopper offered a long bed option I would already have one. I'm sure they would do a custom build but I don't want to pay custom price. I had thought about making one for camping on the rack option, the two biggest hurdles would be sewing and attaching the bottom of the canvas to the bed. When I redid stitching by hand using pre-existing holes on my YJ I couldn't use my hands for a week! I don't know that I could find access to a strong enough sewing machine without going to a pro shop which would then incure costs that Andy mentioned. The canvas is cheap, sewing is not.

I have a couple emails out on bed caps but it amazes me how little people actually want to sell their items on Craigslist... How difficult is it to reply to an email for cash in your pocket? I have the cost of building an extendable rack down to the same as buying a craigslist bed cap. I think it's going to come down to my patience waiting to find a cap with the craigslist crazies vs building the rack.

7.5 ft which of course makes it confusing because some call it 7 some call it 8. Either way it's 89". Most of the Wildernests I have seen for sale are on the wrong side of the country.

I originally had plans to build an all inclusive 416 trailer that I could store all the toys in and just hookup and go. Unfortunately I won't have parking for it in a few months so the MJ needs to be self sufficient.

I really like the soft top idea. If Softopper offered a long bed option I would already have one. I'm sure they would do a custom build but I don't want to pay custom price. I had thought about making one for camping on the rack option, the two biggest hurdles would be sewing and attaching the bottom of the canvas to the bed. When I redid stitching by hand using pre-existing holes on my YJ I couldn't use my hands for a week! I don't know that I could find access to a strong enough sewing machine without going to a pro shop which would then incure costs that Andy mentioned. The canvas is cheap, sewing is not.

I have a couple emails out on bed caps but it amazes me how little people actually want to sell their items on Craigslist... How difficult is it to reply to an email for cash in your pocket? I have the cost of building an extendable rack down to the same as buying a craigslist bed cap. I think it's going to come down to my patience waiting to find a cap with the craigslist crazies vs building the rack.

A local guy here that makes boat covers quoted me $680 to make the canvas cover to fit on my Silverado. I could probably buy the canvas and a sewing machine and do it myself for that...

I like the look of the Softopper but I'd definitely need the frame to be able to support some weight. A softopper isn't going to do it.

A couple options from a couple of my buddies in the UNCC 4x4 club.

One is my buddy's Taco that he built the rack for so he'd have a better place to keep a spare tire. It wouldn't take much to make it adjustable to accommodate larger objects in the bed.

The other is on another buddy's 4runner (I'm pretty sure you know him, Sam, used to be sam24th on here). He built racks on top of and on the sides of his soft top to carry bikes and kayaks. Something like this could be made to work around a camper shell, and would work very well with the stuff you like to do.

10153902_4143784969547_3084304851786082523_n.jpg

10250257_10152579720778582_2556702610649481963_n.jpg

Not sure if either of these help you at all, but I figured it may give you a basic design to go off of.

The other is on another buddy's 4runner (I'm pretty sure you know him, Sam, used to be sam24th on here). He built racks on top of and on the sides of his soft top to carry bikes and kayaks. Something like this could be made to work around a camper shell, and would work very well with the stuff you like to do.

I thought about mentioning Sam's truck earlier. Both were set up very nice.

I did get confused on longbed v shortbed, still, longbed s10 caps fit perfectly.

I had a cab height s10 cap on the ugly truck, before it was ugly.

DSCF0619.jpg

you want that, but not smashed.

A couple options from a couple of my buddies in the UNCC 4x4 club.

One is my buddy's Taco that he built the rack for so he'd have a better place to keep a spare tire. It wouldn't take much to make it adjustable to accommodate larger objects in the bed.

Not sure if either of these help you at all, but I figured it may give you a basic design to go off of.

Oh yeah traitor Sam's 4runner has been a tab open on my computer since the start. I'm strongly considering the bike mount on the side if I go the rack route.

I did get confused on longbed v shortbed, still, longbed s10 caps fit perfectly.

I had a cab height s10 cap on the ugly truck, before it was ugly.

DSCF0619.jpg

you want that, but not smashed.

Nate everytime I see pictures of pre-ugly truck i lose a part of my soul. You need to bury those forever.

Yes that is exactly the cap I would rock :)

you come to terms with it.

it lead a good life, and then went to jeep hospice at doug's.

I think you are supposed to wait until after your Make-A-Wish to kick the bucket though, during is just rude!

I dont know about you but i want to go out smiling. I drove it like i would drive a buggy, i didnt plan on it surviving the week

Back