• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

code OBDII OBD check engine

browneee said:
I got a 94 sport... it flashed "55" which indicates end of check "normal"... However when under load It pings ?

use a higher octane gas or octane booster when your towing. it's just a "labor knock" and many new trucks will do it right off the lot if you tow with 87 oct fuel, most owners manuals tell you its normal.

Ok so the codes list with some of them a "84 tubro only" So does the OBD1 codes work on my 1985 2.8L V6?

We need to get some science going here.

As I read it, there are several possible ways to get codes, but no clear consensus on what works on what models.

1: The standard OBDI 3-key cycle, known to return the 2-digit codes on 91-95 vehicles. Seems to work on some OBDII vehicles, but we're not sure which.

2: A similar 5-key cycle, seems to work on some OBDII vehicles, but we're not sure which.

3: Trip reset button held down, and 3 key cycles, said to produce codes on some 97+ vehicles in addition to the cluster self-test.

4: Trip reset button held down and one key cycle, known to return instrument panel diagnostics on 97+ vehicles.

So, I suggest we all go out to our respective vehicles and try all the various combinations to see what actually happens.

My 99 produces only the instrument cluster self test when the key is cycled one, three, or more times. No codes from either the odo display or the CEL.

It also does not produce any codes of any kind with key cycling up to 5 cycles.

The 95 does the 3-key cycle and flashing light codes as expected.

Then why is it that some of the codes have a turbo only listed

OBD-II can give with either the two-digit ("vendor") codes or the P-codes (standard OBD-II codes.) I have listings for both OBD-I (1991-1995, for us) and OBD-II (1996-up, two-digit and "P-code") on my website in the Tech Archives.

Actually, the "P-code" only indicates "powertrain" codes - engine and transmission. I believe there are a few other prefixes - like one for "body/chassis" faults, for instance. Don't hold me to it - my research into OBD-II is still incompleat, but I'm working on it.

Note that the code definitions I've got listed are taken from Factory Service Manuals, and I've checked for accuracy in transcription. They had damn well better be right! In any case, I know they apply to us, since they're from MOPAR/Jeep manuals...

As far as the various OBD-II codes, one of these days I plan to assemble a reference of all the standard OBD-II codes as a reference for anything that the FSM missed...

I have 97 xj 4L keycheck works by holding the trip reset button and turn key got a code 45 with check engine flashing light the only problem is conflict of what code 45 is seen it writen as temp fault on gearbox and as fault on O2 sensor

does the 55 to signal the end of the codes always happen? i have had some problems with my '95 4.0 running rough lately so i decided to check my codes just now.

im getting a 32 then 32. is this a 55? reporting no codes or is it repeating code 32?

"32 (1984 only) power loss/limited lamp or circuit
OR
32 EGR gases not working (1988) - check vacuum, valve
OR
32 (1990-92) computer didn't see change in air/'fuel ratio when EGR activated - check valve, vacuum lines, and EGR electrical"

why is my year not present in this list if i am getting a 32?

I just did the key trick on my 97 XJ and the off-on-off-on-off-on trick works. I get the the code 12 and then 55 indicating a recent battery disconnect(which is true, had to disconnect the battery negative cable to install my jensen 7inch tft screen/car stereo). But i dont understand why it is giving me OBDI codes when it states on the build sheet that i have OBDII?:wierd: Can someone please explain?

Let's get this thread back in circulation, and there were some questions about 1996 Cherokees, which I have.
Mine is an early ( Nov. 1995 ) build '96 with OBDII and Speedometer without a Trip odometer.
I went through Yucca-Man's sequence and found my problems by counting the flashing Check Engine light.
Needed a new Oxygen Sensor, much better now!

Thanks to GoodBurbon and the rest of you that helped.

Yucca-Man said:
At times, an extra set of OFF-ON may be needed to flash the codes:
ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON

If possible, drive the Jeep around for awhile to warm it up and make sure that all sensors are reporting back to the computer.
http://allpar.com/fix/codes.html

. Here's the rest of the story. From the factory there is a jumper in the diagnostic connector, some had a tether so they would not get lost.
With this jumper in place, the key off on would show the code.
This same jumper needed to be removed to plug the scanner in, as a result many times this jumper was removed and never replaced. If you don’t have the jumper the key off on will not work.

wtf? Is this the answer? Has anyone confirmed there is a missing jumper?
I can't find ANYTHING different between the 98's that DO display codes, and those that do not. I haven't managed to rip the firmware off mine yet, but I suppose that might tell us something.

Anywho, anyone ever find the answer to this?

. Here's the rest of the story. From the factory there is a jumper in the diagnostic connector, some had a tether so they would not get lost.
With this jumper in place, the key off on would show the code.
This same jumper needed to be removed to plug the scanner in, as a result many times this jumper was removed and never replaced. If you don’t have the jumper the key off on will not work.

Joining the thread necromancy here, I find this very hard to believe. First off, I've tried both methods in a 96, and they both worked without any jumper.

Second, if there is such a jumper, someone ought to know what terminals are jumped, and to be able to confirm this from first hand experience. I'm waiting.

Thats the thing. I've used the three turn method in my 92, and again in a 96. Why the hell would they take it OUT in 98, just as they'd finalized the puter and ODBii interface?

I've talked to a heap of people who've claimed that one key trick or another, produced OBDii codes from a 97 or later xj, and another heap of people who are positive there is no way to get the codes without a reader.

Something isn''t quite right about this ;)

Thats the thing. I've used the three turn method in my 92, and again in a 96. Why the hell would they take it OUT in 98, just as they'd finalized the puter and ODBii interface?

I've talked to a heap of people who've claimed that one key trick or another, produced OBDii codes from a 97 or later xj, and another heap of people who are positive there is no way to get the codes without a reader.

Something isn''t quite right about this ;)
As to why they took it out, I don't know, but the codes themselves are different in OBDI. The two systems worked side by side. I think they just figured that since every vehicle made after 96 was required to have OBDII there was no point in having the less informative OBDI as well. Unless there's a secret jumper trick I've not yet seen, I don't think there's any way to get OBDI readings from my 99. I've tried every possible combination to see what might occur. There's OBDII, and a push-button self test of the instrument cluster, but no key trick, and no sign of OBDI, nor does the FSM mention it.

Mine is a 97 4.0 AW4
I have tried most of the tricks to pull codes from the dash lights.
I have pulled code 45 and 55
55 is an end of test code.
Not sure what 45 is supose to be

Also with a Code Scanner I have gotten Code 1898 which is not supose to exist :huh:

Mine is a 97 4.0 AW4
I have tried most of the tricks to pull codes from the dash lights.
I have pulled code 45 and 55
55 is an end of test code.
Not sure what 45 is supose to be

Also with a Code Scanner I have gotten Code 1898 which is not supose to exist :huh:
Ghost codes in both systems! That may be a first.

Actually I think, from what I've read, that these are both transmission codes. The 45 is no used in earlier OBDI, I did find a couple of references for 97-up, including this one, which might also explain your 1898, which is almost certainly another transmission code, though apparently undocumented:

http://www.justanswer.com/questions...97-jeep-cherokee-with-3-speed-automatic-trans

Back