• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CO: 89 XJ (Bad Motor) ~350

TMaggert

NAXJA Forum User
CO: 89 XJ With Bad Motor $500

My 89 XJ is for sale. It runs but sounds horrible and spews oil. I assume a rod in the 6th cylinder in the engine broke and I don't know where the oil is coming from.

1989 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer:
Miles: Around 168,000 or 169,000
Engine: Ran fine with a leak in the rear main seal.
Tranny: Auto. Ran great never had any problems
Transfer Case: 231. Been shot for around 6 years now. Doesn't shift into 4hi when shifting into 4lo it has a terrible grind. I believe it just needs a new chain
Axles: I don't know what size, whatever stock is. Front axle just had the passenger side U-Joint, upper and lower ball joints, and hub replaced over the summer.
Suspension: Stock. The suspension has little to no sag to it. Shocks probably need replacing.
Body: Practically straight. There is a small (quarter size) dent on the passenger side a pillar. Small (2in long 1in wide) dent on the passenger rear quarter. Small (unnoticeable unless looking for it). The front fiberglass panel is broken. An the grill has a crack in it. NO RUST ON FLOORBOARDS! Small amounts of surface rust by the gutter mounts. The front bumper is bent up.
Paint: Red. A few scratches here and there. Hood as many scratches. There is a 3inx3in area above the passenger headlight that is quite scratched. Above the windshield has a fair amount of scratches.
Tires: 235s. Have about 25% tread left.
Heating/Cooling: The radiator was replaced less than one month ago. Flushed the heater core at the same time. Replaced the water pump and thermostat over the summer. A/C doesn't work. Needs a new thing in font of the radiator and recharge. I have six cans of R-12 to refill it with.
Exhaust: The muffler was replaced last week with a Flowmaster 40 series.. Two years ago the exhaust manifold was replaced with one from an 89 XJ.

I'm looking to get ~$500 for it. I am looking to sell as a whole. This XJ will make a perfect project vehicle. Just replace the engine and transfer case and you have a capable off-road machine.

I am located in Carbondale, CO. It is about 30 miles from Aspen and 12 miles from I-70 by Glenwood Springs.

Call me (Taylor) 970-618-5832 or send an e-mail to [email protected] with questions.

Here's links to the picts

Passanger.JPG

Front
Rear
Drivers Side
Passanger Side
Bumper Left
Bumper Right
Engine Bay
Engine
A Pilar
Dash
Front Seats
Rear Seats
Rear Box
Rear Axle

CO: 89 XJ (Bad Motor) ~$500

My 89 XJ is for sale. It runs but sounds horrible and spews oil. I assume a rod in the 6th cylinder in the engine broke and I don't know where the oil is coming from.

Transfer Case: 231. Been shot for around 6 years now. Doesn't shift into 4hi when shifting into 4lo it has a terrible grind. I believe it just needs a new chain
Axles: I don't know what size, whatever stock is. Front axle just had the passenger side U-Joint, upper and lower ball joints, and hub replaced over the summer.
Suspension: Stock. The suspension has little to no sag to it. Shocks probably need replacing.
Body: Practically straight. There is a small (quarter size) dent on the passenger side a pillar. Small (2in long 1in wide) dent on the passenger rear quarter. Small (unnoticeable unless looking for it). The front fiberglass panel is broken. An the grill has a crack in it. NO RUST ON FLOORBOARDS! Small amounts of surface rust by the gutter mounts. The front bumper is bent up.
Paint: Red. A few scratches here and there. Hood as many scratches. There is a 3inx3in area above the passenger headlight that is quite scratched. Above the windshield has a fair amount of scratches.
Heating/Cooling: The radiator was replaced less than one month ago. Flushed the heater core at the same time. Replaced the water pump and thermostat over the summer. A/C doesn't work. Needs a new thing in font of the radiator and recharge. I have six cans of R-12 to refill it with.
Exhaust: The muffler was replaced last week with a Flowmaster 40 series.. Two years ago the exhaust manifold was replaced with one from an 89 XJ.

I'm looking to get ~$500 for it. I am looking to sell as a whole. This XJ will make a perfect project vehicle. Just replace the engine and transfer case and you have a capable off-road machine.

I will post pictures today or tomorrow.

I am located in Carbondale, CO. It is about 30 miles from Aspen and 12 miles from I-70 by Glenwood Springs.

Post or send an e-mail to [email protected] with questions.

Passanger.JPG

Front
Rear
Drivers Side
Passanger Side
Bumper Left
Bumper Right
Engine Bay
Engine
A Pilar
Dash
Front Seats
Rear Seats
Rear Box
Rear Axle

Price lowered to $350

I'm looking to get ~$350 for it. I am looking to sell as a whole. This XJ will make a perfect project vehicle. Just replace the engine and transfer case and you have a capable off-road machine.

I will post pictures today or tomorrow.

Post or send an e-mail to [email protected] with questions.

Passanger.JPG

Front
Rear
Drivers Side
Passanger Side
Bumper Left
Bumper Right
Engine Bay
Engine
A Pilar
Dash