• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CNC Machines

Lowrange2

NAXJA Forum User
How many of you run CNC Machines for a living?

I do and my Mori Sieki lathe just tried to kill me...

Insert broke, boring bar jerked my part out of the chuck and threw it at me around 100mph. lol I love my job!

Knocked the turret out of parallel .130" and out of rotation .030".

I've been running these machines and others like if for about 2 years...

I've got a major gripe about the upper managment. There's a HUGE crack (Big enough to stick my thumb thru) on one of the slides that the turret rides on on my lathe and they refuse to fix it! That makes my tolerances not as accurate and they can't allign the turret properly which makes me more prone to crash the damn thing! Not to mention it makes it unsafe! WTF!

Aftermath...
503070934_photobucket_25222_.jpg

Inside the bore of my part...
503070934_photobucket_25223_.jpg

Both ends of the boring bar...
503070934_photobucket_25224_.jpg

503070934_photobucket_25225_.jpg

Wow that looks nasty.

i run a cnc mill. mostly mazak. i do gibbs also, so i can do some on Hass and Okuma.
we are one of the lagest precision shops in the south east (thats what my boss tells me)
i'm going to be running a big @$$ mitsu. as soon as its put to gether. this thing has a 5'x5' turn table. its a horizontal tho, so it'll be diff

i hear our lathe guys throw parts every so often.
the one time i really remember is when a guy threw a 1,200 lb eccentric shaft. luckly it went towards the rear and not the doors.

Last edited:
Had a guy leave the chuck in our Tarnow lathe in vegas..

Thank god that thing was spinning in reverse...boss man hit the button and turned it on and WHAM towards the wall it went. It just so happened that i was walking right by it too. Definitely would have jacked me up. Bad.

I run a mazak lathe and fadal mill daily. I've seen a lot of broken tool holders and screwed up metal stock but never had anything get even close to hurting me........yet. That's kind of surprising considering that I had about 20 minutes of training and then had to do set-ups and programming( I will say that the parts we run are REAL simple).....I'm an injection molder by trade not a machinist.

How many of you run CNC Machines for a living?

I do and my Mori Sieki lathe just tried to kill me...

Insert broke, boring bar jerked my part out of the chuck and threw it at me around 100mph. lol I love my job!

Knocked the turret out of parallel .130" and out of rotation .030".

I've been running these machines and others like if for about 2 years...

I've got a major gripe about the upper managment. There's a HUGE crack (Big enough to stick my thumb thru) on one of the slides that the turret rides on on my lathe and they refuse to fix it! That makes my tolerances not as accurate and they can't allign the turret properly which makes me more prone to crash the damn thing! Not to mention it makes it unsafe! WTF!

I do, and I am soon to be trained on a Mori sieki! My Index lathe threw part of its chuck and busted bulletproof glass just before Christmas shutdown, I feel your pain! Today the index decided it didn't like some of the guarding and as the chuck turret turned they all got torn to hell!

We aint done got us none of them there fancy-fied CNC's.........all my work is on manual machines, but I suppose we arent a production shop like many of you are Im sure.

I make parts, but I program.

this is my works web site. check it out if youd like. wish it showed the 140" shafts we run.
http://cbm-nc.com/index.html

i actually went in there not ever seeing one of these machines in my life, to running one and getting the opportunity to be a 3rd shift suporvisor. (didnt want to be on 3rd so i turned it down) pretty good for a 22 year old kid lol.

I have a question? Just wondering if you guys think the CNC field is a good one to get into. I am currently working at a 4wd shop but, thinking about going back to school and always thought a CNC job might be interesting. I am married and have a son, so I am looking for something with more of a income then where I am at now. Not to get to personal but what kind of income would be expected for someone straight out of school?

I have a question? Just wondering if you guys think the CNC field is a good one to get into. I am currently working at a 4wd shop but, thinking about going back to school and always thought a CNC job might be interesting. I am married and have a son, so I am looking for something with more of a income then where I am at now. Not to get to personal but what kind of income would be expected for someone straight out of school?

I'm a union worker for Cummins and the pay isn't shabby, its not the most glamorous job but it pays the bills. If you were to be an engineer specializing in CNC machines a guy could make a decent living!

I run a Haas also... I prefer the Mori tho. They're controls are a lot more user friendly!

I almost forgot. Here's the crack in the carrier on my Lathe that managment says will be ok to run.
Now, don't you think this needs some attention?

503070934_photobucket_25660_.jpg

I run a Haas also... I prefer the Mori tho. They're controls are a lot more user friendly!

I almost forgot. Here's the crack in the carrier on my Lathe that managment says will be ok to run.
Now, don't you think this needs some attention?

503070934_photobucket_25660_.jpg

Give them the ole"if you want good parts better fix it line", that usually works for me! :dunno:

It'll bite em in the ass soon enough.

Or it might bite the OP in the face....chest..... etc.

Get that fixed. Thats not safe. Tell them you no longer feel comfortable working on that machine until it gets fixed. Theres no excuse for not fixing that.

Or it might bite the OP in the face....chest..... etc.

Get that fixed. Thats not safe. Tell them you no longer feel comfortable working on that machine until it gets fixed. Theres no excuse for not fixing that.

I've pretty much said that. I'll have to bring it up in the ginormous communication meeting we'll have tomorrow.

Back