• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch related issue after Motor Mount Swap

Chicmechanic

NAXJA Forum User
I've done a ton of reading on here, but this is my first post so bear with me.
As I was driving home last week i noticed my motor mounts must have gone out because when I tried to accelerate even slightly in 1st gear the motor felt like it was going to jump out of the hood. I made it home just barely and by the time I attempted to watch the motor with the hood open it started making a strange metal scraping/grinding noise while the clutch was engaged.
I decided to upgrade to the M.O.R.E bomb proof rubber mounts because I changed the mounts once already when I bought the jeep about a year and a half ago. They were a giant pain in the ass, but I finally got them in this afternoon. The old mounts were definitely shot, so that was at least one part of the issue.
When I started the jeep up it idled fine, but as soon as I pressed the clutch (while in neutral) it made the awful grinding/scraping sound again. I managed to get it into reverse but upon the slightest acceleration it made the noise again and I decided to leave it alone in order to avoid any further damage.
As a bit of background, my throwout bearing went out about a month and a half ago so I put in a new clutch, flywheel and throwout bearing, along with a new bushing in the upper tranny mount and complete fluid change in the tranny and transfer case and some other unrelated stuff. From the stuff I've read the noise seems to mimic what I've heard other people say would be the throwout bearing going bad and pressing on the fingers of the pressure plate. I'm trying to decide if I have it in me to drop the tranny again, but having a better idea of what exactly it is will help me decide. Hopefully I have provided enough info. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

99xj 4.0L 6cyl 4wd

That's what it sounds like. After I replaced the clutch, flywheel and throwout bearing a month or so ago, it shifted great! I had been having issues with it wanting to slip out of 2nd and also a hard time getting it in reverse. All of that went away after the swap. For a couple of weeks anyway and then the last 2 weeks or so I noticed the same issues coming back, 2nd still wanting to slip out of gear occasionally and a difficult time shifting into reverse. Is it common for brand new throwout bearings to just be bad? Thank you for the feedback

I would have suggested LUK.

Dropping the trans for a look-see is about all you can do.

:bawl: That's about what I figured. I had access to a tranny jack and some better jack stands and a few other things that I don't have access to anymore. I'm thinking it may be better to just take it somewhere rather than to go buy a tranny jack. That's something I'm hoping to not have to deal with often. I was quoted $780 for the clutch job initially, $350 of that was parts. I'm thinking that if it is actually just the TOB that I could get away with $400 or so. What do you think the odds are that it would've done damage to the pressure plate or something else that would require a new clutch? And if it went bad, I imagine I could try to get my money back for the parts, but I imagine I'd be SOL on any labor.......

Sounds like throwout bearing took a crap. If it's hard to get into gear also that's even more reason to suspect it.

Would the motor mounts going bad have anything to do with the throwout bearing issue or vise versa? It's super weird that they seemed to happen at the same time

in regards to it being difficult to get into reverse...

the reverse gear in the AX15 is not synchonized. i have found it makes it much easier to engage reverse if i put the shifter into 4th before dropping inter reverse.

i have that same problem with a nissan too. sometimes putting it in neutral and releasing the clutch and then trying again will help it.

Turned out the backing plate had gotten bent somehow and was rubbing against the clutch. Super easy fix! :)

FWIF, check the crankshaft end play. I have seen instances where the end play was excessive to the point of parts rubbing every time the clutch was pushed in. The problem should be easier to correct, if you catch it early.

in regards to it being difficult to get into reverse...

the reverse gear in the AX15 is not synchonized. i have found it makes it much easier to engage reverse if i put the shifter into 4th before dropping inter reverse.

My 98 that had an AX15 didn't like to go into 1st most of the time. I ended up shifting it into 3rd then first and that usually lined everything up. Every once in a while I'd have to do the same thing you do to get into reverse.

Back