• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch on a peugot

ImprtsSuc

NAXJA Forum User
Recently I got an 87 XJ given to me as a gift from a friend. It came with its fair share of problems including a dead alternator, bad belt, broken driver seat, and a dead reverse on the peugot. When I got it, I knew it would be an offroad beater, and it was only meant to reaplce my Bronco II that I literally ran into the ground. I drive the thing hard, and the other day when I was trying to spin the tires, the clutch lost all pressure and would no longer shift into any gear. I took a quick look underneath and noticed what I thought was hydraulic fluid leaking from the clutch lines. I haven't had a chance to take a closer look at it yet, but I was wondering if anybody would have any ideas or information to share with me on this.

Sounds like it's time to replace the line, master and/or slave cylinders. The master has a nasty habit of leaking brake fluid onto the back of the fuseblock, where it goes unnoticed until the day your electrical starts going weird on you. Brake fluid will EAT the fuseblock...

The clutch line itself lives entirely too close to the exhaust manifold, and if it's original it's probably brittle from all the heat. Replace it when you replace the master and/or slave cylinders or you'll end up redoing a lot of work. If you're going to replace one of the cylinders, do the other as well since they don't hold up too well under the pressures a new cylinder is capable of creating.

Late-model (92+ ?) belhousings use an external slave cylinder that you can upgrade to. If you have problems with it in the future you don't have to drop the tranny to get to it.

The transition to an external slave started in 93? (94 year model) I think. Thats when they switched to a 1 piece master/slave external unit. I just replaced mine, it came pre-bled which I was skeptical about but its working fine.

Either way, its irrelevant to this guy unless he swaps the whole tranny to the later (someone mentioned to me Jeep used them since 89) tranny, the Aisin AX-15. Its a totally different, better tranny (dimensions are fairly similar but its a different tranny, different manufacturer).

My advice is to find a 94-96 AX-15 from a junkyard if you want the external slave and don't want to spend alot. You need a new tranny anyway since it looks like your Pug Ba10-5 is shot. You will also need some other parts from the other vehicle to get the AX-15 into an 87, the list is slipping my mind right now but if you search here for say "AX-15 swap" there is a lot of info on this site. Oh, welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Dangit - I forgot about the tranny transition. Mid-model year '89 was when they changed from the BA10/5 to the (much better) AX-15...

Thanks for your input guys. I hope its just the lines, if not I'll brick the gas pedal, watch the engine blow and give the junkyard a call. I don't want to get in over my head with the removal of a tranny, that is shit anyway.

Back