• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Interlock

I did mine the simple way.

At the switch on the pedal un plug the wire connector and use a short piece of wire an jumper the two wires together. Tape it up and your done.

YOU JUST NEED TO WARN EVERYONE WHO DRIVES YOUR JEEP ON THE STREET IT IS LIKE THAT.

I'm use to pushing the clutch in when I start it out of habit, I was tought that way before interlocks were made.

mark
orgs mfg

Did they always put in this clutch inter lock? My '96 (made 9-95) does not have the interlock (or at least it does not work). Of course, I bought it used.

I had a '99 Wrangler. In the owner's manual it told you how to bypass the system. IIRC,there was a slot on the fuse panel that simply said "clutch" or "Transmission",or something similar. To bypass the system,you put a fuse in the circuit,to revert back to normal,you pulled the fuse back out. Simple:D Now,as far as a Cherokee goes,I don't know if it's that simple,but it's worth looking into.

I picked up this tip from I believe Greg Nauman (sp?) for the by pass on his '98 I believe... here's a cut n paste...

I found a GREEN connector with yellow wire just looped back to the same GREEN connector. It was taped under the dash right next to the clutch interlock connector. To my surprise the factory included this bypass under the dash for you. You just unplug the GREEN connectory with the YELLOW Wires and plug it into the other GREEN connector with the yellow wire looped back to itself.

This place is the BEST thanks for the support. I found the green clutch interlock by-pass connector with the yellow loop back (removed from the tape) Unplugged the interlock connector and plug this into it, works like a champ, when I’m wheeling just plug the loop back in and remove when drive and the highway.

See you in Moab! :party:

Thanks,
Xman

Anthropy said:
Did they always put in this clutch inter lock? My '96 (made 9-95) does not have the interlock (or at least it does not work). Of course, I bought it used.

Since I have driven an '88 with a blown clutch slave by starting in gear, I am certain the '88 did not have the interlock. Mike from NJ has done the same with his '94, so either it had no interlock or he had by-passed it.

Clutch interlock switch jumper

Thanks for the amazing tip about this little Chrysler secret.

I found the bypass thingy (on my '98 XJ Sport Canadian model) neatly taped to the wiring below the dash just ahead of the connector for the clutch interlock switch. When I got it installed, I found that a problem I'd thought might be a bad starter was just a bad clutch interlock switch.

The service manual has a wiring diagram that shows a clutch interlock switch jumper as an alternative to the clutch interlock switch, but it doesn't say anything about what it is or where you'd find it.

By the way, there definitely wasn't any clutch interlock on my old '85 XJ (which would start in second with a burnt-out clutch) and I'm glad to be rid of it on this one.

Thanks again,

Back