• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CLUNKING IN FRONT IN 4X4

bcktracker

NAXJA Forum User
i have a clunking noise , in the front end when in 4x
and in a hard turns, i changed out the entire front end,
and on a test drive, it is still doing it,
nothing is rubbing, and i have ran out of anything to try,,,,,,,,,,,,,
ANY IDEAS ?????????????:huh:

check your u-joints

Don't make tight turns if you only have part-time. Don't run it in part-time on dry surfaces either, maybe for short bursts if only going straight.

Full-time will be fine for either situation.

And differential chain? The diffs don't have 'chains' They have gears. The transfer case has a chain, and it would have its own differential too if its a full-time t-case-like the 242.

might be your gears.

U-joints do not rotate in a smooth manner. CV's do well, but the Hooke type u-joints in most Dana 30's do not - they accelerate and decelerate as they rotate, causing torque variations in the driveline. On a lightly graveled road surface, the tires will actually spin for part of a rotation, and then slow down.

All that herky jerky will quickly expose loose joints as the clearances allow bearings to bang back and forth. If you grease them and it temporarily gets better, you know it's the joints.

It's also why it's not recommended to use 4WD on dry smooth roads - mine will make noise on compacted turf as it has too much friction - and, as noted in the forums, 30" or bigger can overload the joints in extreme wheeling and break them. Factory joints don't last forever.

Problem FOUND !!!!
i checked the track bar, and the ball joint at the end of it,( where it attaches to th body. was bad.
it was letting the whole front end move, causing excesive pressure on the U-joints, making them pop and Clunk during hard turns in 4x...

what was throwing me off ,was that it did not do it in 2x,

but a new track bar will cure this,,, thanks all:greensmok

Grrr, I was waiting to see what yours ended up being because I have the same problem but in both 2X and 4X and only on the right side. But my track bar is brand new. :(

luv2offroad said:
Grrr, I was waiting to see what yours ended up being because I have the same problem but in both 2X and 4X and only on the right side. But my track bar is brand new. :(
ok, i replaced the rtrack bar, and some of the problem went away... the hard stear Clunk is gone, but now it still does it on a hard steer start,,, UGH !!!!
bujt i got in it and just rode arounbd the field with the door open, and this time the noise is coming from the T-case area.
since i have recently changed out the 242 for a 231,, and i know its good, there is only 1 thing left before i carry this thing to the CRUSHER,,,,,,
TOTAL NEW U JOINTS ON THE FRONT DRIVE SHAFT,,, and i have them in my shed,, so Sunday will tell the story.:twak:

ok ,,, i found my problem,,,, after changing out all this crap... it was a really simple fix.... and DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... the T case was out of adjustment,,, not letting the gears fully inguage into 4x.... SIMPLE MIND is not what i am gifted with,,, i always think of the WORST case,,,,,,,,
thanks for the suggestions

bcktracker said:
ok ,,, i found my problem,,,, after changing out all this crap... it was a really simple fix.... and DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... the T case was out of adjustment,,, not letting the gears fully inguage into 4x.... SIMPLE MIND is not what i am gifted with,,, i always think of the WORST case,,,,,,,,
thanks for the suggestions

how do you adjust the T-case?

Back