• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cliffhanger Jeep Rental, Moab, UT

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
So I just got home from vacation tonight after spending 10 days in Moab. I rented an Extreme Rubicon from Cliffhanger Jeep Rental and it was supposed to be the best in the area. Do yourself a favor and NEVER rent from this deplorable, shady ass company. The jeep I rented was supposed to be an offroad beast. It turned out to be a rundown piece of crap that barely ran and almost stranded me in the middle of nowhere on Elephant Hill twice.

The jeep was a 2014 with 27k miles and it had numerous issues. Let me start at the beginning. I arrived last Thursday morning to pick the jeep up, after making a reservation over a month in advance only to be told the jeep was in the shop and wouldn't be ready for a couple hours. So my wife and I took care of some errands and showed back up to get the jeep. If anyone has driven Elephant hill you know that it is 70 miles from Moab. That fact wouldn't have been bad except for the fact that the jeep itself had the sway bars permanently disabled. This made for a very unstable, unsafe ride. The problems didn't stop there. The jeep had no horn, and all the warning lights were on in the dash. Everytime you stepped on the brakes the rear drivers side brakes and axle shook violently and squealed very loudly. Then it started just squealing all the time. Whenever you would start the jeep in the morning or after letting it sit for a few hours it would have a serious valve tick that sounded like it had been ran low on oil and there was internal engine damage. It had 35" tires that were cut to hell and back and basically bald. The lockers on the jeep would engage and then fail when you needed them the most.

After having the jeep for 2 days and generally not feeling confident taking it on trails, I went back to Moab, washed it and returned it to the shop. They acted like they were sorry and told me all they had to offer me was a regular Jeep Rubicon. As I had no other option I went ahead and accepted this downgrade. Their employee named Riley told us they would give us the jeep at a discounted rate and do something extra to help make up for the issues I had with the jeep. The new jeep was a 2015 with 12k miles and this thing was a worn out piece of crap that must have been driven by every moron non jeep driver on the planet. It had the same wheel squeal as the other one, and whenever you let off the gas it slowed down like it had a diesel jake brake installed. This jeep also had the locker issue just like the other jeep. It also had a serious vibration in the transfer case that was audible and could be felt while idling. It also hated to be shifted into 4WD, high or low. This jeep also had the factory tires on it and they were bald and cut up as well.

We returned the jeep after our allotted 7 days yesterday and the owners basically acted like they didn't care that we had so many issues with their jeeps. They were rude and their customer service was horrible. Even after all our issues with their jeeps they charged us 1375.00 bucks for the time we had their garbage jeeps.

I am just posting this to try and save some fellow jeepers the headache of dealing with this garbage company in the first place.

You left the rental with the first Jeep with all the warning lights on? Also, at what point did you realize the sway bars were disabled? It should have been brought back to them within the first hour, not two days later.

I realized it on the drive to the Needles District of Canyonlands National Park. After 35 miles of unstable driving, I pulled over and inspected what I already knew to be true. I didn't want to let it ruin our first two days of camping, so I just dealt with it. I know that was stupid but I was trying not to disappoint my wife. I filed a complaint with the BBB and they have already gotten back with me and have said that Cliffhanger lost their BBB accreditation a while ago.

All those issues and no photos of these crappy jeeps or the things you saw wrong on them? I'd have photo documented the crap out of all that if I were gonna beat them up about it.

Ultimately, this statement kinda sums up what pretty much everyone should realistically expect when renting a Moab Jeep...... "The new jeep was a 2015 with 12k miles and this thing was a worn out piece of crap that must have been driven by every moron non jeep driver on the planet." That's the nature of the auto rental biz. 95% of the renters of these vehicles don't give a damn about them and drive the piss outta them, then toss the keys back, pay up and run like a robber without reporting the noises/issues for fear of getting charged for the repairs.

Many years back, when I was mid-build of my '93 XJ, I joined friends in Moab to do some wheeling and rented an '80's CJ from Moab Off Road. It too was a pile of crap and DID leave me stranded on Steel Bender at the base of the playground area when the clutch lever assembly dropped on the trail. I had to leave it there and Moab Off Road had to go retrieve it. Think they made any money on that rental?

I can't imagine owning one of those rental businesses and all the overhead costs. Yikes.

Last edited:
Back