• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cleaning the underbody

Castrol SuperClean works better and is more friendly to the environment.

superclean.gif

I buy it in the gallons at Wallyworld for about $6. Don't leave it on paint for a long time or on bare aluminum as it will turn it white if left wor a long time. That's not an issue on cleaning trannys and tcases.

Clean the big stuff out with compressed air first then hit the remaining stuff with brake cleaner and scrub

Run some greased lightning or simple green through the pressure washer. Put on a good coat of either of the two using the low setting on the washer, then blast away with the high setting. Works wonders.....

mcnamaag said:
I use some cheep clearcoat paint on all of my under body parts. It realy makes clean up a snap and the mud falls off.

x2, When I had the motor and trans out I bought some higher temp clear coat spray paint and painted everything underneath. The exhaust heat hasn't bothered it one bit and its nice and slippery now, nothing sticks to it.

I'd suggest not using Simple Green under the XJ - I've heard that it causes something called "hydrogen embrittlement" in aluminum, which our transfer case housings (and maybe the transmission housings) are made of. I'm not entirely sure what that means, but it doesn't sound good. I've heard that the military won't let the stuff near their airplanes any more, but that may only be hearsay.

Rob

get it clean however you choose and then use baby oil in a sprayer to coat everything on the underside (except tires... duh)-- worked wonders on the dirt track car to keep the weight down and the mud off!

--Shorty

P.S. the chicks'll dig ya too!

Shorty said:
get it clean however you choose and then use baby oil in a sprayer to coat everything on the underside (except tires... duh)-- worked wonders on the dirt track car to keep the weight down and the mud off!

--Shorty

P.S. the chicks'll dig ya too!
not to mention that new baby smell or i quess thats wat u meant my bad:doh:

Back